Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
problem of measure with current PLZ HELP!!!!
chris0147 Offline

problem of measure with current PLZ HELP!!!!
Hi guys,

I need your help. I have trouble of measure the multimeter between the battery positive post and the hho positive post. I get range of amps between 0.98A and 1.0A. I am using digital multimeter and clamp multimeter which both supports DC currents. The wires are working fine which I have tested the battery, there are 12.53v so the battery has got plenty of power. I knew that the wires and the battery doesn't cause an fails. I have switched the settings from amps to volts to find out how much volts, there are 3.34v. Something is wrong, i have tested all of the wires and they are all tighten. I have added KOH in the water already 6 times. If I connect the battery positive post to the cell positive post and then from the cell negative post to the battery negative post, there will be alot of bubbles. If I use with the multimeter, there will be no bubbles.

Here's example of what I have done to measure:

Battery positive post ---- clamp meter ---- hho positive plate strap
Battery negative post ----------------- hho negative plate strap

And

Battery positive post ------------------ hho positive plate strap
hho negative plate strap -------clamp meter------Battery negative post

I am still getting on the same boat. I don't really understand what the problem is.

Do anyone know what the problem is?
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2010 09:22 AM by chris0147.)
11-18-2010 08:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bsmart Offline

RE: problem of measure with current PLZ HELP!!!!
chris, are you still using the same multimeter you showed us in your previous postings? I'm not sure it was designed to measure DC current......

Are you using 2 different multimeters at the same time, or are you describing 2 functions of the same multimeter? (digital multimete and clamp multimeter)

If you have a NEW multimeter, can you show a pic of it here for us to see?

IF you get current flow w/o the multimeter connected, but NO current flow with the multimeter connected, then it isn't connected correctly. Or, there is too much current flow for the multimeter to measure and an internal circuit protection device is preventing current flow.
11-18-2010 10:34 AM
mike Offline

The other thing I see here, is that you're talking about a battery that is obviously not attached to an alternator in a car. Otherwise your voltage would be about 13.5 volts or more.

An HHO system will draw a lot of juice. It will suck the power out of a battery pretty fast. So you could just be out of juice. The battery will still show 12 volts when nothing is drawing current, but then if you attach an HHO cell, the voltage can drop to a very low level. This just means the battery is seriously discharged.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
11-18-2010 10:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chris0147 Offline

Yes, and I am using two different multimeter but using them once at a time.

I have measuring the DC current voltage on the both multimeter on separate time and there are current of amps with range between 0.98A and 1A. It's too low, I should have get more than 1A.

However, I did get the current flow to the multimeter which it did connected correctly. It have picked up the volts which it's 3.34v and the amps 0.98A and 1A.

I have tried to measure the current on the digital multimeter, but I am still getting the same problem. I have uses the different wires and it's still the same issues. I am not sure what the problem is. Maybe you do know what the problem is and how to fix it?

I will have to send you the pictures tomorrow. As I can't do it now.
(11-18-2010 10:48 AM)mike Wrote:  The battery will still show 12 volts when nothing is drawing current, but then if you attach an HHO cell, the voltage can drop to a very low level. This just means the battery is seriously discharged.

Yep, I have checked the battery with the wires which it did drawing the current, so when the current attach to an HHO cell, I can see the voltage have dropped.

So what happens with the battery then? Is it NOT fully charged or if the battery is seriously failed?
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2010 10:58 AM by chris0147.)
11-18-2010 10:53 AM
mike Offline

You should connect your cell to a battery in a car or truck that is running. Then you'll have 12 volts all the time. The alternator will keep the voltage up above 12 volts, and you can do your test.

The battery could be fine, but I wouldn't keep trying to use it until you get it back into a car and get it charged up again. Then only test with the alternator running.

Once you have 12 volts with the cell hooked up, then see where you stand. You can adjust your current by the amount of electrolyte you use. More electrolyte will give more current.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
11-19-2010 11:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chris0147 Offline

Mike,
No I can't do that. As I needs to build up the experiment first by working on a small project, and then build up the experiment to the big project. I don't have any experiment yet, so I need to work on small project for now until I have achieve my goal then I can move on to the next project.

You suggested that the battery could be fine. I have agreed with you as the battery are fully working as I have recharged and I have picked up the voltage. So I guess why I couldn't take the reading for the DC amps, it must be a bad connection!

Here's the pics, so you can take a look and tell me which posts I needs to disconnect the wires and then connect to a different posts. I uses the clamp meter to measure for DC amps, which it means that there is no amps under 0.98A. I have tested the amps draw using with the digital multimeter. According to my digital multimeter, there was no amps.

So how can I set the reading of the DC amps?

Hope you can help!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

(This post was last modified: 11-22-2010 02:37 PM by chris0147.)
11-22-2010 02:32 PM
bsmart Offline

(11-22-2010 02:32 PM)chris0147 Wrote:  Mike,
No I can't do that. As I needs to build up the experiment first by working on a small project, and then build up the experiment to the big project. I don't have any experiment yet, so I need to work on small project for now until I have achieve my goal then I can move on to the next project.

You suggested that the battery could be fine. I have agreed with you as the battery are fully working as I have recharged and I have picked up the voltage. So I guess why I couldn't take the reading for the DC amps, it must be a bad connection!

Here's the pics, so you can take a look and tell me which posts I needs to disconnect the wires and then connect to a different posts. I uses the clamp meter to measure for DC amps, which it means that there is no amps under 0.98A. I have tested the amps draw using with the digital multimeter. According to my digital multimeter, there was no amps.

So how can I set the reading of the DC amps?

Hope you can help!

Chris, sorry but the pictures are not clear enough to see the labeling on the meters when they are large enough to read.

Your connection from battery to cell looks fine.

the red cable coming out of the clamp meter does what? You should not have the red and black wire connected to the same post of the battery. I don't know what that red wire is doing, but that just looks wrong to me.

the clamp meter should be clamped around the blue wire or the brown wire to get a reading.

The digital multimeter has a separate plug-in spot for measuring 10A range. I can't tell for sure but it looks like it is selected to a separate range measure something. (the red square) on the scale.

One other thing comes to mind. If you tried to measure current with the digital multimeter, but the current was too much (too high), the meter may have an internal fuse that blew the first time you connected it. If this meter has a 10A range, it probably won't measure or indicate much more than that. That would explain why you can't read current with it.

Is there a website that shows the clamp meter you purchased, so I can see the scale clearly?

Chris, I went to the website you posted in your previous thread on this and saw the meter there.

You do NOT need to have the red leads connected to the meter while measuring amps. Those leads are for measuring voltage only. With them plugged in and connected together, it may be loading done the input so you can't see the current you are trying to measure. just a guess.

Also, this clamp meter has a 'hold' button. If you pressed it, or bumped it by mistake, the reading displayed will not change until you press the measure button again. This resets the meter.

hope this helps.
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2010 10:55 AM by bsmart.)
11-23-2010 10:44 AM
chris0147 Offline

Thanks for your advice bsmart. Unfortunately, I have the three wires that have been burned already (That's probably why I can't make the bubbles and take the reading). Can you suspected that if the wires have been burned already to cause an short circuit, then I will be happy to replace them in no doubt.

Over the top of this, the red cable coming out of the clamp meter is connect with the blue wire to allowed the electrical to return to the battery, otherwise there will be a short circuit. As I have been suggested from a friend that he have told me to connected the black alligator clip on the HHO negative post, and connected the red alligator clip on the blue wire.

If you'd find it wrong that he have told me the wrong information to cause an short circuit, I'd better tell him off. Lucky, I didn't cause an injury to myself. So what's the right way of connect the wires with the circuit while I can take the read of the current flow?

As I am using the clamp meter to read the DC amps, so I have no worry if I measure the current flow up to 15A. So you suggests that I don't need the red leads connected to the meter while measuring amps, my doubt is that it will cause an short circuit. How can I returns the voltage to the battery without have the red leads?

(This post was last modified: 11-23-2010 03:57 PM by chris0147.)
11-23-2010 03:54 PM
bsmart Offline

(11-23-2010 03:54 PM)chris0147 Wrote:  Thanks for your advice bsmart. Unfortunately, I have the three wires that have been burned already (That's probably why I can't make the bubbles and take the reading). Can you suspected that if the wires have been burned already to cause an short circuit, then I will be happy to replace them in no doubt.

Over the top of this, the red cable coming out of the clamp meter is connect with the blue wire to allowed the electrical to return to the battery, otherwise there will be a short circuit. As I have been suggested from a friend that he have told me to connected the black alligator clip on the HHO negative post, and connected the red alligator clip on the blue wire.

If you'd find it wrong that he have told me the wrong information to cause an short circuit, I'd better tell him off. Lucky, I didn't cause an injury to myself. So what's the right way of connect the wires with the circuit while I can take the read of the current flow?

As I am using the clamp meter to read the DC amps, so I have no worry if I measure the current flow up to 15A. So you suggests that I don't need the red leads connected to the meter while measuring amps, my doubt is that it will cause an short circuit. How can I returns the voltage to the battery without have the red leads?

Chris, these pictures don't show enough of the connections to see the full circuit. So, I can't advise you from these. Go to you PM message for details.

To get a completed series circuit from what I can see in one picture, connect the blue wire from the battery directly to one connection on the top of your HHO cell. Keep the clamp on ampmeter around that blue wire as shown in the picture. Put the meter selector switch on the 40 amp position. Now connect the brown wire from the other battery post directly to the other connector on top of the HHO cell. I would connect it at the cell first, and momentairly touch it to the battery post to see if bubbles start forming. Glance quickly at the clamp meter to see what current reading you are getting. If the current is high, you will see a spark at the battery post when you touch the brown wire to it. This is why i suggest you NOT make this last connection at the cell, but at the battery.

DO NOT use the red or black wires connected to the clamp on ampmeter. unplug them and lay them aside.
11-23-2010 07:52 PM
chris0147 Offline

(11-23-2010 07:52 PM)bsmart Wrote:  Chris, these pictures don't show enough of the connections to see the full circuit. So, I can't advise you from these. Go to you PM message for details.

To get a completed series circuit from what I can see in one picture, connect the blue wire from the battery directly to one connection on the top of your HHO cell. Keep the clamp on ampmeter around that blue wire as shown in the picture. Put the meter selector switch on the 40 amp position. Now connect the brown wire from the other battery post directly to the other connector on top of the HHO cell. I would connect it at the cell first, and momentairly touch it to the battery post to see if bubbles start forming. Glance quickly at the clamp meter to see what current reading you are getting. If the current is high, you will see a spark at the battery post when you touch the brown wire to it. This is why i suggest you NOT make this last connection at the cell, but at the battery.

DO NOT use the red or black wires connected to the clamp on ampmeter. unplug them and lay them aside.

bsmart, the pictures did shows enough of the connections to see the full circuit. You see the two pictures of the circuit which I have already took.

So you suggested in your second sentence that I should connect the blue wire directly on the top of the HHO cell, and connect the brown wire on the positive post on the battery?

If that's correct, then I wonder that if I should connect the red alligator clip on the brown wire while connect the black alligator clip on the top of the HHO cell?

I have tried to connect the brown wire on the battery which I have got no bubbles. I might have found out why I have got no bubbles when added alot of KaOH into the water, there was not enough amps stored in the battery. I have measured the amps using with the clamp meter, so the amps draws is 12.5A. On normal battery, I would get around 55AH or more than.

Can you confirm that if the amps in the battery is pretty too low to do hho production?

(This post was last modified: 11-25-2010 10:02 AM by chris0147.)
11-25-2010 09:56 AM