Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
pulse rate and volt range on 02 Pontiac Sunfire
Rags Offline

pulse rate and volt range on 02 Pontiac Sunfire
Can anyone tell me where I can find the pulse rate of the pre-cat convt 02 sensor on a 2002 Pontiac Sunfire? Is it a long pulse or short, and what is the average high volts sent to the ecu. Is it max .8 or .9? Also which of the 4 wire on it is the sending wire to the ecu. There are 2 white, 1 black, 1 gray?
05-08-2008 06:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bandit354 Offline

RE: pulse rate and volt range on 02 Pontiac Sunfire
Usually the black is the signal wire by the ecu, but not always, I stuck my voltage meter on the 02 sensors four wires till I got one that was fluctuating then looked at the wiring diagram to make sure it was the right one, traced it back to the ecu using the ohm meter and double checked the wiring diagram, then I new for sure I had the right wire.
05-08-2008 06:36 PM
Rags Offline

bandit354 Wrote:Usually the black is the signal wire by the ecu, but not always, I stuck my voltage meter on the 02 sensors four wires till I got one that was fluctuating then looked at the wiring diagram to make sure it was the right one, traced it back to the ecu using the ohm meter and double checked the wiring diagram, then I new for sure I had the right wire.

Thanks bandit
05-08-2008 06:39 PM
bandit354 Offline

The white wires are your heater wire one positive and one ground and I believe the gray is the 02 ground.
05-08-2008 06:42 PM
Rags Offline

bandit354 Wrote:The white wires are your heater wire one positive and one ground and I believe the gray is the 02 ground.
Thanks
I have the wiring diagram, but it only shows two wire to the sensor, but on the car there are 4, it shows PPL for one and Tan for the other. I followed them thru the connector and it led the PPL to the black and the Tan to the gray. I thought the black wire was the one I wanted but wasn't sure.

You don't happen to know if the voltage pulse rate on it is short or long do you?
05-08-2008 06:52 PM
colchiro Offline

If you have two wires the same color on a 4 or 5 wire cable, they probably have 12 volts on them and they're the heater wires and you can ignore them. (One will be ground and the other +12v.)

Of the other two wires, one will probably be ground and the other a pulsing + voltage if it's a narrow band sensor.

If both have voltage on them then it could be an air/fuel sensor or wide-band. Seems to me there's an o2 sensor doc in the documents section here that should have more info.

FWIW, my Toyota has white wires for the heater and the blue wire is sensor and black is a control voltage. My Bosch narrow band o2 sensor (for my air-fuel meter) has similar colors.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
05-08-2008 06:52 PM
bandit354 Offline

Does your wiring diagram show one of the wires that, next to it says test to ground, if it does that is your signal wire.
05-08-2008 06:59 PM
Rags Offline

bandit354 Wrote:Does your wiring diagram show one of the wires that, next to it says test to ground, if it does that is your signal wire.
I am looking at the diagram now and the only thing it shows is a box with the two wires in it. they are marked A & B one is Tan and the other is PPL inside the box there is a break in the wires with an arrow pointing in one direction. Just for the sake of direction I will say thea the Tan wire leads to the sensor on one side of the box goes down makes a U turn then comes to the break and exits to the PPL wire. Which I take to be purple. On the car the purple wire connects to the black wire and the Tan connects to the gray wire.
05-08-2008 07:09 PM
bandit354 Offline

Can you post a picture of the wiring diagram.
05-08-2008 07:30 PM
Rags Offline

bandit354 Wrote:Can you post a picture of the wiring diagram.
I can try, I don't know how cleaar it would be it is so small.

Took a picture but can't get the thing to transfer, and my wife is asleep, so it will have to wait until tomorrow.
I got the photo now I will try and upload it.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2008 07:59 PM by Rags.)
05-08-2008 07:36 PM