Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
safety questions
cheapfuel Offline

safety questions
I had one of my elbow HHO outlets from my generator come loose. It was a plastic tube fitting and the generator housing was PVC pipe. I was not using the generators at the time as I still have a few things to do in order to complete the installation. This happened when I went on some rough road to go fishing. The vibration/movement as a result of the rough roads caused it. I have since repaired it plus made sure that connections with hoses were more secure. I have two questions that maybe someone can answer or attempt to answer. Firstly, how much danger is there if HHO gas leaks from the generators under the hood while driving? Secondly, does any one know of a better glue than ABS, which is what I used.
07-17-2008 02:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stevekos7 Offline

RE: safety questions
cheapfuel Wrote:I had one of my elbow HHO outlets from my generator come loose. It was a plastic tube fitting and the generator housing was PVC pipe. I was not using the generators at the time as I still have a few things to do in order to complete the installation. This happened when I went on some rough road to go fishing. The vibration/movement as a result of the rough roads caused it. I have since repaired it plus made sure that connections with hoses were more secure. I have two questions that maybe someone can answer or attempt to answer. Firstly, how much danger is there if HHO gas leaks from the generators under the hood while driving? Secondly, does any one know of a better glue than ABS, which is what I used.

Firstly, if you have a leak under the hood from your generator it will not usually cause any problem, particularly while driving. The HHO dissipates so fast it will not have a chance to ignite. If it was in an enclosed space like in the boot there might be some danger if a spark ignites it.

Re the glue, I use plumbers joining cement for my fittings to PVC pipe, and for good measure, on top of that I use epoxy as well. Very strong join. Just make sure it is totally dry (at least 24 hours) before exposing it to moisture and it will last well.
07-17-2008 11:57 PM
cheapfuel Offline

RE: safety questions
Thank you stevekos. I really didn't think that a hydrogen leak would be a big problem. After all the car battery leaks hydrogen and nobody worries about it. Do you mix the the epoxy and plumber cement before applying. The ABS I use is plumbers plumber's cement for PVC pipes. Maybe if I get a loose joint in the future I will mix ABS and epoxy (gloozit) 50-50. I also use a pipe cleaner to make sure my area is clean, etc.
07-18-2008 06:46 AM