Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
scangauge
jasonporter181 Offline

scangauge
With new settings on my sensors, will my scangauge show less fuel used and better MPG?
05-09-2008 10:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jksav7 Offline

RE: scangauge
Yes, the Scangauge will not read mpg correctly once the MAP sensor has been altered. I can't speak from experience as it relates to the MAF (don't have one). I don't think altering the CTS or AITS will mess with it though. Hope this helps.

jasonporter181 Wrote:With new settings on my sensors, will my scangauge show less fuel used and better MPG?
05-09-2008 10:26 AM
jasonporter181 Offline

Yeah, it makes sense with the EFIE too cuz the voltage the efie adds makes the engine think it's giving the same amount of gas. Kind of a brain teaser, or maybe I'm just tired.
05-09-2008 12:42 PM
colchiro Offline

I emailed Ron DeLong regarding this:
Quote:Hi Ron.

I enjoyed reading your interview: http://www.metrompg.com/posts/scangauge-interview.htm

I have a question on how mpg is calculated. Is it just simply gallons used divided by miles traveled, or are other sensors involved? A few forums where I hang out have mentioned that you shouldn't use the Scangauge to check your mileage if you're tweaking some of the sensors (MAF/MAP/O2/IAT, etc) since that'll throw off the mileage reported by the SG. That didn't sound right to me.
and this was his reply:
Quote:Some modifications can cause the ScanGaugeII to be fooled, but when you recalibrate it, the error should be corrected.

I have had many reports that say the ScanGaugeII shows the MPG affects correctly without recalibration. This of course, is probably dependent on the changes that are being made.

I assume "recalibrate it" means filling with gas.

I was disappointed with his replies. I had other questions too and he pretty much avoided everything, just like a politician. Hmm

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
05-09-2008 01:01 PM
jasonporter181 Offline

My question comes after I did a 31 mile test drive where my scangauge said I got 15.6 MPG (= about 2 gal) and at fillup I only had to put 1.2 gal to top off (= 25.8 MPG). Now this might be an anomaly but I hope not. Also I was on level ground at fillup both times. More tests to come......
05-09-2008 01:12 PM
jksav7 Offline

That's weird. My experience has been that the Scangauge gives me a very optimistic mpg reading when the MAP sensor is enhanced. This is, of course, after having the Scangauge calibrated before I make any adjustments.

jasonporter181 Wrote:My question comes after I did a 31 mile test drive where my scangauge said I got 15.6 MPG (= about 2 gal) and at fillup I only had to put 1.2 gal to top off (= 25.8 MPG). Now this might be an anomaly but I hope not. Also I was on level ground at fillup both times. More tests to come......
05-09-2008 01:15 PM
jksav7 Offline

That's too bad. When he says "calibrate" he's talking about the feature on the Scangauge that allows you to adjust the Scangauge's attempt at estimating mpg with the actual amount of gas used as evidenced during the fill-up procedure. For example, if my fill-up tells me I get 36 mpg, but the Scangauge says its 30, I simply tell the Scangauge that I put in less gallons of fuel. The next time I fill up it should read much closer to the actual fuel used.

colchiro Wrote:I assume "recalibrate it" means filling with gas.

I was disappointed with his replies. I had other questions too and he pretty much avoided everything, just like a politician. Hmm
05-09-2008 01:18 PM
colchiro Offline

I also requested a change in the functionality:
Quote:Feature request: When I add gas and the gallons added differ from what the SG expects, my actual mileage for the tank will have changed from what I was seeing prior to filling. It'd be nice to see a summary after filling with the mile traveled on the tank and the mpg for that tank. I know of no other way to get that info after filling.

and his reply:
Quote:Filling the tank does clear the data. You have to look before you do the fillup routine.

Hmm

Did I not make it clear what I was asking?

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
05-09-2008 02:11 PM
jasonporter181 Offline

Then yeah, if you have to calibrate the SG then that means its a erroneous reading and I will differ from actual MPG until I tell it what the real reading is. (basically)
05-09-2008 03:19 PM
colchiro Offline

Right. So if you fill with more than a couple tenths of a gallon variation from the SG estimate, your mileage will vary a lot and you have to do it manually.

What are many of the people here doing? Driving for 30 - 40 miles and checking their mileage to see if they've gained any ground. If they've changed a sensor or something that makes their SG calculate a different number, it's useless information.Confused

Rick

05-09-2008 03:40 PM