Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
series or parallel?
alscrimp Offline

series or parallel?
I want to hook up 2 dry cells for my dad's motorhome (BIG monster engine). I know that the past wet cells had a heating problem, so the correction was to wire them in series to cut down this problem. Does a dry cell have this same problem? Do I have to wire each one separately or can I wire them together in series? Sorry for so many questions in one post.
11-23-2009 04:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: series or parallel?
Hi,

The fact that you had to wire previous cells in series is because you must have had cells that were designed to work on 6 volts better than 12 volts. The fact of being a wet cell or a dry cell doesn't really matter. Its just a matter of what the cell was designed for. That has to do with number of plates and plate spacing, and then electrolyte concentration. All of those go into determining what the best voltage would be.

Most cells are designed for 12 volts. So, you would wire them up in parallel so that each cell gets the 12 volts it needs. Series wiring is usually not needed for any cell, unless the manufacturer specifically tells you otherwise.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
11-23-2009 09:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
alex87 Offline

RE: series or parallel?
(11-23-2009 04:45 AM)alscrimp Wrote:  I want to hook up 2 dry cells for my dad's motorhome (BIG monster engine). I know that the past wet cells had a heating problem, so the correction was to wire them in series to cut down this problem. Does a dry cell have this same problem? Do I have to wire each one separately or can I wire them together in series? Sorry for so many questions in one post.

if you wire the cells parallel the voltage and amps will be equal b/t both cells. when wiring in parallel it pos. to pos. neg. to neg, i have a two cell kits and my plumbing and wiring.
03-31-2011 08:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply