Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
simple new water alcohol injection idea
fixityourselfer Offline

simple new water alcohol injection idea
hello everybody, and here's my new idea:
I've seen much activity on this forum about water injection systems using high pressure pumps, injection nozzles, fogger misters, and other stuff. many of these systems are giving good benefits to their owners, however I noticed that most of these systems use some power from the car's alternator, and many do not give out water mist/vapor proportional to the vehicle's throttle.

So i thought to myself: how about i take a carb from a weedtrimmer, or lawnmower(variable speed mower, not the hi-low speed type), (or large 1/4 scale model airplane carb too, if u know what that is) and connect two rubber hoses to it. top hose(air into carb) to a spot on the hose between the mass airflow and the TB, bottom hose (air out of carb)to the inlet manifold. on the fuel nipple goes the line to a water tank. the carb's throttle arm gets coupled with a linkage to the car's throttle cable. the amount of water /air mix will now increase proportionately with stepping on the gas, and no power is taken from the alternator.

if vaccum falling as the gas is depressed poses a problem with the small carb being able to deliver higher levels of water at higher throttle, the solution would be to install a full size automotive carb in the line between the airbox and the TB coupled to the car's throttle cable, and connect the fuel nipple to the line to a water tank.(with a fuel pump if necessarySad the mower carb doesn't need one)

Isn't this what we are looking to do?

if anyone can shed some light on whether this would or would not work, i would very much appreciate it.

Do feel free to chime in! Thank you everyone, F.i.y.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
this setup would also give me full control of the water/air lean-rich mixture as i will have a carb needle valve or whatever the system is, and and it should have a mechanism of some sort to allow on-off control from the driver's seat area, as i can't see how water in a cold engine could be good. Guys........(!) i'd like some feedback, please do chime in and give me your opinion(!!!)
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2009 08:29 PM by fixityourselfer.)
05-31-2009 08:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: simple new water alcohol injection idea
I have no personal experience with water injection, but do understand how it works. I don't know how important it is to adjust the water to rpm ratio tho. I believe most people just have a fixed rate and cut the flow below a certain rpm.

There's several ways to regulate the rate when using an electric pump too.

It just depends a lot if there's a big difference in mileage with increasing water flow.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
06-03-2009 02:06 PM
AlexR Offline

RE: simple new water alcohol injection idea
(05-31-2009 08:06 PM)fixityourselfer Wrote:  So i thought to myself: how about i take a carb from a weedtrimmer, or lawnmower(variable speed mower, not the hi-low speed type), (or large 1/4 scale model airplane carb too, if u know what that is) and connect two rubber hoses to it. top hose(air into carb) to a spot on the hose between the mass airflow and the TB, bottom hose (air out of carb)to the inlet manifold. on the fuel nipple goes the line to a water tank. the carb's throttle arm gets coupled with a linkage to the car's throttle cable. the amount of water /air mix will now increase proportionately with stepping on the gas, and no power is taken from the alternator.

I've thought about the same concept myself. Haven't tried it yet. I don't see why it wouldn't work with some tweaking. Something that is simpler may just be water vapor injection. Just take some incoming air and bubble it through a mason jar with water in it. Just google "water vapor injection" for more info.

A couple of thoughts which are by no means complete.

1. Cold weather. I know methanol can be used to lower the freeze point of water for water injection purposes in cold weather. Using it in a carburetor will (almost) atomize the water/meth mix. This will lower the temp of the air in the intake possibly freezing the moisture in the air and possibly the water for injection. It's called carburetor icing and can happen in temps in the 60's and 70's, believe me I've seen it, frost even on the outside of the intake manifold pipes. Heating the incoming air will solve this.

2. You need something to force the air through that carburetor. Engine vacuum is the obvious choice, even though there is less of it at higher manifold pressures. The problem with this is the "modern" ECU, it sees this as a manifold leak and pours in more fuel to compensate. We're not talking a small amount as in adding Brown's Gas, but more volume to get enough water into the engine. This will need something to compensate for the ECU dumping in more fuel. For this reason many use the high pressure water and spray it into the intake manifold. If you are experimenting with a carbureted engine then you don't have to worry about this.

By all means go ahead and experiment. Just put in a safety shut off/restriction of some kind so you don't accidentally break a fitting, dump too much water into your engine, flood the cylinders and break something - $$$.

Alex

Cool Flame, LLC
http://www.cool-flame.com
06-06-2009 05:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
elelubbomolla Offline
elelubbomollaXK

Dramatic rescue of mother and baby elephant
(CNN) -- Most conservationists would agree that you should not interfere with mother nature. But there are exceptions to every rule.

Staff and tourists at Kapani Safari Lodge in Zambia were caught by surprise when a mother and baby elephant became trapped in mud.

Saying they couldn't just "stand by and watch them slowly die," what ensued was a dramatic rescue[Image: 3.gif]

Together with the South Luangwa Conservation Society (SLCS) and the local wildlife authority, the team devised a plan to get the elephants out. The rest of the herd initially tried to help the screaming mother and baby escape, but they were stuck too deep.

Team managers from the conservation society slipped a rope around the baby and after a few attempts managed to pull her out of the muddy pit. The team says it took a lot of coaxing to get her out and on her feet though, adding that she "was terribly frightened and wouldn't leave her mum's side".

Getting the adult elephant out of the mud was a far more challenging task -- by the time the baby had been rescued, its mother was dehydrated and exhausted. But the SLCS team eventually pulled her out too, using a tractor and rope[Image: 6.gif]
Staff at Kapani Lodge say it was "heart-warming to see how many local people joined in the efforts to free the two elephants... it was the happiest possible ending."
11-14-2011 01:30 PM