Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
smack booster improvement?
mjmpickering Offline

smack booster improvement?
Hi Everyone. I'm fairly new to the hydrogen scene but i'm hoping to get some clarification on a few points. I have been researching different designs and the smack booster seems to make the most sense, except for one thing. Its made up of 2 sets of 4 cells which gives around 3.4 volts per cell. I have read that gas production increases with voltage up to a max of 1.24v per cell after which added voltage is turned to heat. So it seems to me the smack booster would be very inefficient. If one was to instead connect the positive strap to one side of the cells and the neg to the other it would give 8 separate cells of 1.7v each. Gas production should be the same? but heat production far reduced. Can someone tell me i'm an idiot(and give a reason please!) or if it can work. also if there are other better designs around please direct me to them(preferably free ones).
Thanks
05-11-2008 09:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jksav7 Offline

RE: smack booster improvement?
Actually, this was just discussed over on the yahoo hydroxy forum. The Smack booster has that number of cells and spacing because that is what produces the most amount of gas for the least amount of heat in an open-bath design. Eletrik (Smack originator) tinkered around with this for a year before finalizing this design. It's what works. I suppose it's possible to get more gas production, but the heating would be excessive to the point where you wouldn't be able to run the cell (thermal runaway).
05-11-2008 10:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply