Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
smack problem
dpater47 Offline

smack problem
i am bench testing a smack with a 1/2 tsp sodium,cold drawing 10amps,no plates touching and no leaks, everything tight.once it hits 20 amps the temp reaches 75 celicus and will go higher if i let it run.the top gets so soft it sucks the nuts and washers in.if it's out of the container and setting in a open jar ,it never gets past 40 celicus.the only thing i have not tried is wrapping the plates and the heat shrink will be here in the next day and i will try that.did i miss something some where in the instructions? thanks
07-29-2008 03:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: smack problem
Check to see if you have good connections from the plates to the top bolts. Sounds like they're getting hot.

I think your biggest problem probably is no insulation on your connectors (heat shrink).

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-29-2008 03:46 PM
dpater47 Offline

colchiro Wrote:Check to see if you have good connections from the plates to the top bolts. Sounds like they're getting hot.

I think your biggest problem probably is no insulation on your connectors (heat shrink).
well the bottom brace is insulated and the connection from the plates to the lid are insulated but i have not wrapped the plates yet which will be done in a day or 2.i think your right on loose connections
though.i am going to remove the plates and start all over because the top bolts are getting hot.so before i heat wrap the plates i'll double check the connections on the plates.thanks for the help.
07-29-2008 04:12 PM
PanamaRik Offline

When putting bolts through plastic use a nut and lockwasher to securely attach the bolt to the internal connection inside the cell, flat washers with rubber washers on either side of the plastic to seal and then 2 nuts on the outside to lock down on the bolt thread, then a final nut to hold your wire terminal.

The plastic will soften, loosening the connection to the terminal strip inside the cell if you don't take this precaution, which then creates more heat and risk of spark.

PanamaRik

dpater47 Wrote:
colchiro Wrote:Check to see if you have good connections from the plates to the top bolts. Sounds like they're getting hot.

well the bottom brace is insulated and the connection from the plates to the lid are insulated but i have not wrapped the plates yet which will be done in a day or 2.i think your right on loose connections
though.i am going to remove the plates and start all over because the top bolts are getting hot.so before i heat wrap the plates i'll double check the connections on the plates.thanks for the help.

Drop by my site at http://gassaver.panamacentric.com and say 'Hi' Rik
07-29-2008 05:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bagrman Offline

What is your plate set up. Throw in a N in between the - and + if there is not one there already. Then you might need to get more Baking soda into the mix to get your amps back.
07-29-2008 05:49 PM
colchiro Offline

If properly built, there should already be enough neutrals. http://smacksboosters.110mb.com/Smack.pdf

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-29-2008 05:54 PM