Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
smacks type booster
cmac Offline

smacks type booster
I hooked the one I built up on the bench, it uses SS plates 2.5x5
(-)NNN+++NNN(-) at 9.5 amps it was 140 deg. putting out about a 1/4LPM. I'm wondering about the three middle plates, should I isolate the positive in the center making the plates on ether side N? The outside plates are lower than the others for the strap clearance and the one in the middle (+) is higher to bolt the lead on. I was using sodium hydroxide. I'm not real comfortable with Lye and will probably not be using it because of the fact it is so corrosive. I need your input to get the heat down and the gas up. Thanks

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

06-27-2008 06:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jksav7 Offline

RE: smacks type booster
Why do you have 3 +'s in the middle? One works just fine.

If you're not going to use NaOH, then what else do you have in mind? You could use lemon juice, vinegar, or some other acidic substance that will attack the catalytic layers on your plates, making them even less efficient than they are now. Or you could use salt, which will produce chlorine gas and will eat your plates. Or you could use baking soda, like so many others do. Only problem is that baking soda has carbon in it that will react with your plates and corrode the crap out of them, while making your water look like something out of the toilet in short order. And while that process is going on the chemical reaction that happens when baking soda is put under electrlysis will give off carbon monoxide (which is really good for you), and when it is all over and the carbon is "burned off" that baking soda will actually not be baking soda anymore, but NaOH. On the other hand, NaOH and KOH are very stable substances that are ideal for electrolysis. Obviously, people need to take some care when handling them, but it's no big deal. Just make sure you have a water bubbler inline to scrub the gas before it enters the intake.

cmac Wrote:I hooked the one I built up on the bench, it uses SS plates 2.5x5
(-)NNN+++NNN(-) at 9.5 amps it was 140 deg. putting out about a 1/4LPM. I'm wondering about the three middle plates, should I isolate the positive in the center making the plates on ether side N? The outside plates are lower than the others for the strap clearance and the one in the middle (+) is higher to bolt the lead on. I was using sodium hydroxide. I'm not real comfortable with Lye and will probably not be using it because of the fact it is so corrosive. I need your input to get the heat down and the gas up. Thanks
06-27-2008 07:22 PM
cmac Offline

[Well I guess i didn't follow the detail, I had a center plate hooked up to the + and the nut spacer on each side touches the next plate in line.
I took everything apart, the middle plate is now warped a bit. I guess beating the bagebas out of it to get it back flat could be considered roughing it up. I was told that potassium hydroxide isn't as likely to damage aluminum.
06-27-2008 08:09 PM
jksav7 Offline

Are you referring to the aluminum in your engine? If so, either catalyst works just fine. The bubbler will get rid of any potential toxic vapors that might otherwise enter the engine.

cmac Wrote:I was told that potassium hydroxide isn't as likely to damage aluminum.
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2008 08:55 PM by jksav7.)
06-27-2008 08:53 PM