Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[split] EFIE Results
01olds Offline

[split] EFIE Results
HI ...JUST SOME QUESTIONS.... SETTING UP THE EFIE WENT WELL SAT IT TO 350MV THEN AFTER SEVERAL MILES SAY ABOUT 100 MILES STAYED IN CLOSED LOOP... NOW IT WANTS TO GO BACK INTO OPEN LOOP RUNNING RICH AGAINI,,LL TRY SETTING IT BACK TO 290MV I DO KNOW TOO THE ENGINE HEAT HAS A EFFECT ON THE EFIE OUT PUT SEEMINGS TO MAKE IT GO MUCH HIGHER THE ARE THE EAGLE REARCH ONES... IS THERE ANY WORK MODS TO KEEP THE CAR SYSTEM IN CLOSED LOOP THANKS
11-21-2007 06:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: [split] EFIE Results
It is possible to set the EFIE too high, and the computer thinks there's something wrong with the sensor, and thus goes into open loop. Essentially the computer is ignoring the sensor's data. If this is the case, as you select lower settings you should find the point that the computer stays in closed loop operation.

Re temperature sensitivity. Yes, in very cold weather, the EFIE will run lower due to the effect of cold on the microchip that it uses to generate it's voltage. Your working setting will be what the EFIE reads when the engine compartment and EFIE is warm. Both the engine and the EFIE itself will generate some heat and will come up to it's correct voltage rather rapidly. But if you set the EFIE in freezing weather (for instance), while it's cold, the EFIE will run much higher when under normal operating conditions.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
11-21-2007 04:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dwbow1 Offline

RE: Pre installation observations
Hi, new guy here,I have installed an 11a magdrive unit on my o5 chevy z71 5.3,have checked mileage several times,still the same as allways 16.5mpg,I do know however,that the engine is getting HHO,and the reason for the (0)% increase in fuel economy,is the 02 sensors reading lean,and the computer richening the mix.Another thing I noticed,is that my truck no longer down shifts as often as before,and the engine idles very smooth. will keep you informed about the progress and hopefully about my increasing gas mileage.Will also be sending you ??????s about the install.
Got the dual EFIE today,thanks for the fast shipping,and this forum,will be in contact,dbow.
12-19-2007 06:40 PM
mike Offline

Great, standing by...

Visit Our Documents Page
12-19-2007 07:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dwbow1 Offline

mike Wrote:Great, standing by...
Mike, got the EIFE up and running late today and did a short run (about)28miles,filled up again and it checked 15mpg. Less than the usual mileage (16.5).I set the efie at 300mv.checked both red and black ports to ground, both read erradicaly,I should add all the adjustments were made prior to the 28 mi run.about 6 miles into the drive the check engine light came on,think one of the wire came into contact with the exh.manifold,that may explain the check engine light,I believe the wireing of the efie is correct due to the readings I got prior to the 1st test run of 28 mi.Should I go on up with the adjustments? The HHO generator seems to be working OK,and what do you think about the check engine light? thanks much dbow.
12-20-2007 09:53 PM
mike Offline

dwbow1 Wrote:
mike Wrote:Great, standing by...
Mike, got the EIFE up and running late today and did a short run (about)28miles,filled up again and it checked 15mpg. Less than the usual mileage (16.5).I set the efie at 300mv.checked both red and black ports to ground, both read erradicaly,I should add all the adjustments were made prior to the 28 mi run.about 6 miles into the drive the check engine light came on,think one of the wire came into contact with the exh.manifold,that may explain the check engine light,I believe the wireing of the efie is correct due to the readings I got prior to the 1st test run of 28 mi.Should I go on up with the adjustments? The HHO generator seems to be working OK,and what do you think about the check engine light? thanks much dbow.

The check engine light either means the EFIE is wired incorrectly, or that it is set too high. Also, if you had a shorted wire, sometimes the check engine light stays lit until the computer is cleared. So you might try clearing the computer to be sure it isn't still reading the short you reported earlier. You can clear the computer by disconnecting the ground cable to your battery for a minute or so.

If you have a way to read the engine code, that would, or course, be helpful too. But if all wiring is OK, then you are probably set too high. Keep setting it lower until you get it working ok. I've seen guys get the best mileage with only a .125 volt setting, so don't think you have to have a high EFIE setting. The correct setting is the one that works.

Erratic readings are expected when measuring either port to ground. You should get a steady voltage when reading from port to port. See How to Read Your EFIE for more details on that.

Try these things and let me know how it goes.

Visit Our Documents Page
12-20-2007 11:16 PM
dwbow1 Offline

Mike,dont know what is going on with my truck,since my last post,I have filled up,drove 45 miles on the interstate and filled up again,getting 18mpg, before doing this I had the efie set at 160mv offset voltage,truck usually gets 19mpg on a drive like this.The check engine light went off about 5 miles into the drive,it had been on since I first set the offset voltage to 300mv.
I have since reset the offset V to 130mv and drove 54 miles and filed up getting 16.2 mpg.Read your article on How to set your efie, very informative,as for the wiring on the efie,everything looks good on the DMM as far as I can tell,am no expert on wireing by any stretch,have been dropping the voltage by about 30mv per adjustment,is that too much? What do you think about going back up to 150-155mv and testing again?thanks dbow.
12-21-2007 09:21 PM
mike Offline

Ok, it sounds like you're on the right track now. It also sounds like it's wired up properly.

Adjustments of 30 mV per adjustment sounds just fine. I can't tell you which way you need to go. You'll just have to test and see which gives you better mileage, and smoother operation.

One thing to be careful of though is short tests sometimes don't let the engine settle in to the new setting. Longer tests of at least a tankful should be used to fully determine the effectiveness of a setting. Once you get closer to your best mileage setting, then be sure to use longer tests to finalize it.

Please let us know how it goes.

Visit Our Documents Page
12-21-2007 11:17 PM