Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[split] Help!!! Installing EFIE
bigjim56 Offline

[split] Help!!! Installing EFIE
Rick,

I would make my adjustment after my drive home from work and the engine was hot.

I thought it would set off the engine warning light and go into a closed loop when I went to far? I was then gonna fine tune the mv setting after resetting the engine code then dialing back the setting. Should I dial it back all the way and start again?
I started at the 200 mv reading as some posts I've read have indicated that as a good starting point. I upped the mv setting daily after it drove that day without tripping the engine warning light. I assumed the mv offset capability was from 0.2 -1.0 mv. I'm gonna do the dry cell install within the next week or two, so I want to have this efie unit working and ajusting correctly before that. Your unresponsive remark, how do you test for a unresponsive/slow 02?

Thanks for the help.

bigjim56
04-06-2009 04:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: [split] Help!!! Installing EFIE
I split this from the other thread to keep them separate. It's too hard to fix two problems in the same thread.

I think there's a problem with your install. It's nice to be able to test it by cranking it up, but that's not the way to tune it later. The fact that you didn't throw a code makes me suspect you have the wrong wire.

Where did you connect your efie, close to the sensor or closer to the ecu on the harness somewhere?

Did you check the wire for the tell-tale, quickly changing .1 to .9 vdc signal (so quick you can't get a good reading)?

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
04-06-2009 05:43 PM
bigjim56 Offline

I made the connection at the harness in the engine compartment by the engines computer and my intake K&N filter. Thats where the instructions wanted it located at. It's a 4 wire sensor, one I eliminated that read 12v (heater), the 3 others would include a ground for the heater and a ground for the sensor, then the last would be the signal wire. I thought I had the right wire, I can switch it and try the opposing wire. I wasn't sure if I had the right wire or not, the readings were not consistant. I'll go back and check the install again, looking for the tellltale quickly changing 0.1 - 0.9 vdc signal as you said.

I knew something was wrong when it maxed out and no code had tripped on the engine. I'm just using the water4gas units now, so the output of HHO is minimal.

Also, of the three remaining wires, 2 were white - is it safe to assume both of these were both ground wires (one ground for heater, other ground for sensor)? Why would'nt they share the same ground?

Will recheck my install and dial back EFIE and get back to you when done.

Thanks,

bigjim56
04-07-2009 01:08 PM
colchiro Offline

Usually 2 whites, mean heaters in my experience, likewise if you had 2 blacks.

You can simply check the voltage on your green efie wire (or black jack if you have the deluxe model). Just put your red meter lead on that and check to ground using 2 vdc scale.

I assume you can trace the wire from the sensor on the exhaust to that location and the o2 you're using is before the cat.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
04-07-2009 03:18 PM
bigjim56 Offline

Rick,
I just got finished rechecking my installation and I had the right wire. Its a white wire. After reconnecting the O2 sensor's junction back together, I tested the mv reading from the white wire (shaved sidewall) with the engine running and it varied from 0.14 - 0.90 mv, not steady at all and jumping all around, but always staying under the 1.0 mv reading.

I did have to reset the engine warning light when done, it tripped during this time. After resetting the EWL, I decided to try the upper scale to see if it would trip again, I had turned it back several turns earlier. I went all the way to the 520 mv reading and heard a click, so I stopped. I backed off a turn or two and did it again, it clicked again, so I stopped. Something is wrong here. Should I proceed above the clicking point or assume the EFIE could be bad...what next?

I decided to dial it back to the 150 mv level that you reccomended for a start point and thats where its at now.

bigjim56
04-07-2009 05:17 PM
colchiro Offline

Clicking means you've reached the end so it's good that you decided to stop. You have about 20 turns end-to-end and it should click on both ends.

Not sure why you don't throw a code, but we see that once in a while. I suppose you could disconnect the wire going to your efie and have the code read as a final test. That's up to you. Many auto parts stores read codes for free.

You did confirm you're using the front o2, not the rear o2, right?

Rick

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2009 06:49 PM by colchiro.)
04-07-2009 06:48 PM
bigjim56 Offline

Yes, its the right o2 sensor, the forward one, closest to the engine and before the catalytic converter.

I left the wire connections easily accessable because I figured I may be going back to them again...I had shrink wrapped them before. I've thought about it and I'm gonna run some tests to see if the offset is being applied. I know its difficult to see with the setting bouncing around the way it does, but an offset should be visible by testing before the EFIE and after.

Since I've ramped up to the 520-565 level already with no EWL thrown, couldn't I just set it there and forget it? Doesn't the higher level setting get the most mpg increase?

Also, I've got a map sensor installed that I've not been using because it caused me to set off the EWL the first time out. Mike told me to not use any further until the efie is tuned, so I shut it off. That can be put back in play at the highest offset setting and allow further fuel savings up until/if it sets off the EWL...then I'll know how far I can pinch that setting. Is my thinking correct here? I wouldn't want to pinch the map sensor too much, not just because of the fear of tripping the EWL, but also of burning the valves of the engine. I've read cutting back too much on an engines fuel needs can burn valves/pistons etc.

bigjim56
04-08-2009 06:03 AM
colchiro Offline

Some vehicles don't throw a code when the efie is too high, they just go into open loop, which usually means your mileage gets worse. In other words, it might just think your o2 is defective and ignore it, instead using safe, stored settings which are good for performance, lousy for mileage.

Still don't know if you have the deluxe or basic efie. With the basic, connecting your red probe to the white wire and black to the green, you can read your offset (what the efie is adding) in vdc.

The deluxe has jacks on the front, so you simply plug your red probe in red jack and black in black, which I assume you're already doing.

If your offset is set to 500mv and your o2 reads .2 to .8, the voltage the ecu sees should be .7 to 1.3 vdc. Make sense?

Rick

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2009 02:39 PM by colchiro.)
04-08-2009 02:37 PM
bigjim56 Offline

After posting this morning I ran tests on the exposed connections going to the efie and after the efie. To my astonishment I had lower voltage going to the efie and higher going to the ecu. I switched the wires around and its reading much better. My voltage coming from the O2 is approx. 1.000 and after the efie going to the ecu is 0.5000 approximately. I think I may have crossed the wires that go to the efie/o2. If I did, my bad. I ramped up the setting to 520 and it clicked , so I stopped. I drove it and it drove fine. Again no EWL ever tripped. Hopefully its right, now. I'll wait to solder the wires until I'm sure its right. Will get back to you either way. I think I'll dial it back to the 150 mv level and SLOWLY work my way up from there. I know the car requires "learning" from the driver, long term fuel trim/short term fuel trim etc.

Thanks,

bigjim56
04-08-2009 03:42 PM
colchiro Offline

Jim, you might want to review "EFIE Installation Instructions" in my Documents link.

You had it right before. Wink

Assuming you have a baseline mileage it might be time to try 150, 200, 250 mv and see how your mileage changes.

Rick

04-08-2009 04:35 PM