Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[split] Proper O2 swings and mileage
mike Offline

[split] Proper O2 swings and mileage
Malice 1 Wrote:Mine is doing the same thing. If you read the installation instructions, it says that the EFIE is a finicky device and requires a long warmup time, as well as a long stabilization time in between changes.

I installed mine and immediatley leaned the crap out of it, and now I'm having to slowly tune my way back down to acceptable levels. Right now it's set on 230, for about a 15.5 AFR. When I first power it on, it will creep up to 300 over a 10 minute period, and then creep back down to 230.

Not good. What model do you have? I want to swap out circuit boards. It should not be doing that.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
06-12-2008 02:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Malice 1 Offline

RE: Proper O2 swings and mileage
mike Wrote:
Malice 1 Wrote:Mine is doing the same thing. If you read the installation instructions, it says that the EFIE is a finicky device and requires a long warmup time, as well as a long stabilization time in between changes.

I installed mine and immediatley leaned the crap out of it, and now I'm having to slowly tune my way back down to acceptable levels. Right now it's set on 230, for about a 15.5 AFR. When I first power it on, it will creep up to 300 over a 10 minute period, and then creep back down to 230.

Not good. What model do you have? I want to swap out circuit boards. It should not be doing that.

To the OP, sorry for the threadjack. If you like, Mike and I can take it to PM's.

Mike, which part of mine is "not good"? I have a double EFIE deluxe. You sent it to me about 2 weeks ago.

When I installed it, I immediatley started cranking the hell out of the screws trying to lean it out. Hence the very high initial offset. Afterward, I went back and read your installation instructions and I interpreted them to say that the EFIE needs time to stabilize after each adjustment, and it needs stabilizing time after startup.

According to my PCM, the efie is working correctly. According to my wideband o2 sensor, the efie is working corretly. According to my interpretation of the instructions, the efie is working correctly. Am I mistaken?

EDIT: This is pretty much Exactly what mine it doing. I took this from the instruction page.

Quote:You will probably find adjusting the EFIE to be frustrating at first. When you turn the adjustment screw, the voltage starts raising (or lowering) and keeps on doing so long after you've stopped turning the screw. It can take up to 10 minutes or more for the voltage changes to completely settle down. I have learned to set EFIEs similarly to balancing a long stick on your finger. You have to turn the screw farther than you expect the final position to be to get the EFIE's voltage changing in the direction you want. Then when the voltage gets close to your target voltage, quickly start turning the adjustment screw the opposite way until the voltage stops increasing. Once the voltage is at your target value, then you just make small adjustments either way to get the voltage to settle down. But note you'll want to check the voltage some minutes later to make sure it hasn't continued to drift to a different value.

Another small detail that might throw you if I didn't point it out. When an EFIE is first connected to a vehicle and powered up, the voltage will go higher than normal, and then slowly settle back down. This is without changing the adjustment. This settling out period can take from 5 to 10 minutes or more. The primary manifestion of this is when you make your first voltage setting, then 5 minutes later find it has changed. This is normal. Just go ahead and re-set the voltage you want. After the EFIE is acclimatized to your vehicle you won't see this phenomona again.

1994 Chevy camaro Z28 5.7L V8 M6
33mpg & climbing
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2008 05:21 PM by Malice 1.)
06-12-2008 05:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: [split] Proper O2 swings and mileage
I went ahead and split your issue from the other thread.

The only thing I was saying was not good was the voltage going up to 300 and back to 230. It's OK if it does this when you first install it, but it should not be continuing to do that. Maybe I misunderstood. Is this continuing to do this?

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
06-13-2008 09:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply