Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
still confused help
irving Offline

still confused help
:crazy:Hi Mike Happy new year
I just came back from Tennessee but I just did not get a good gas mile, I have a Question or two?? on my gas/air gauge when the truck is moving and the efie is off the reading goes all the way to 18 and normally run on 16 to 18 unless I step on the gas it goes to 10, it looks that it normally run lean, but with the efie on it did not past 16, on idle when the efie is off the reading goes to higher lean mixture and idle leaner, when the efie is on stay on 14 so what is going on?? I did check all the wires they are ok. :question:
01-08-2008 12:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: still confused help
Don't worry, I think we can get this fixed up.

But, I'm sorry, I didn't understand all of that. However, my first question is how is your air/fuel ratio being determined? Do you know? What device is telling you your air/fuel ratio? My guess is that the EFIE is fooling your air/fuel ratio reporting device the same way it's supposed to fool the computer, and your EFIE is doing it's job as expected. However, you aren't getting better gas mileage, so for sure something isn't right.

Let's see if we can figure out what it is. First check the EFIE's setup. Do the following voltage tests:

1) Engine running, voltage between red and black EFIE test points. This value should be fairly steady after the EFIE has come up to it's full voltage. (5 minutes or so)

2) Black probe on your car's ground (or black battery terminal), and your red probe in the EFIE's black test point. This should be a variable amount, constantly changing. What is the range of this voltage. It should be the output of your oxygen sensor.

3) Black probe on your car's ground, and red probe in the EFIE's red test point. This should also be constantly varying, and should be the same as 1 and 2 above combined. For instance if reading above 1 is .155 volts and reading 2 above is varying between .2 and .7 volts, then test 3 should be reading between .355 and .855 volts (constantly changing). This would be the output of the oxygen sensor plus the voltage added by the EFIE.

If your results are different than this, then there is something wrong with the oxygen sensor or EFIE, or the way that the EFIE is set up. Please tell me the results of these tests. I should be online this evening and will watch for your reply.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
01-08-2008 04:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
irving Offline

mike Wrote:Don't worry, I think we can get this fixed up.

But, I'm sorry, I didn't understand all of that. However, my first question is how is your air/fuel ratio being determined? Do you know? What device is telling you your air/fuel ratio? My guess is that the EFIE is fooling your air/fuel ratio reporting device the same way it's supposed to fool the computer, and your EFIE is doing it's job as expected. However, you aren't getting better gas mileage, so for sure something isn't right.

Let's see if we can figure out what it is. First check the EFIE's setup. Do the following voltage tests:

1) Engine running, voltage between red and black EFIE test points. This value should be fairly steady after the EFIE has come up to it's full voltage. (5 minutes or so)

2) Black probe on your car's ground (or black battery terminal), and your red probe in the EFIE's black test point. This should be a variable amount, constantly changing. What is the range of this voltage. It should be the output of your oxygen sensor.

3) Black probe on your car's ground, and red probe in the EFIE's red test point. This should also be constantly varying, and should be the same as 1 and 2 above combined. For instance if reading above 1 is .155 volts and reading 2 above is varying between .2 and .7 volts, then test 3 should be reading between .355 and .855 volts (constantly changing). This would be the output of the oxygen sensor plus the voltage added by the EFIE.

If your results are different than this, then there is something wrong with the oxygen sensor or EFIE, or the way that the EFIE is set up. Please tell me the results of these tests. I should be online this evening and will watch for your reply.
01-10-2008 02:06 PM
irving Offline

I have an electronic gauge that connect to the O2 sensor it is connected on the side of the computer, when the efie is disconnected (off) the gauge read that the eng run leaner than when the efie is on, does it look that the eng is made to run normally lean? The numbers are the mixture air/fuel that the gauge is reading from the O2 sensor I have not check the volt but will do that tomorrow Friday the O2 sensor is new
01-10-2008 02:07 PM
mike Offline

Ok, that's what I thought. You're not reading the air/fuel mixture. You're reading what the computer "thinks" is the air/fuel mixture. The gauge is reading the actual oxygen content PLUS the voltage of the EFIE. From this, it calculates what it thinks the air/fuel mixture is. However, with the EFIE's voltage added, it's going to think that there is more fuel in the mix than there is. Therefore the computer will be adding less fuel. This is what we want the EFIE to do.

If the gauge were to be connected between the sensor and the EFIE, then you'd see a leaner mix when the EFIE is on, as you'd expect.

Visit Our Documents Page
01-10-2008 02:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
irving Offline

So let me see if I understand this when the efie is off I am reading on my gauge what the O2 sensor an the computer are normally doing . it is reading between 16 to18 air/fuel mixture. Does that mean that the computer is injecting lees fuel because it is running lean? Or is injecting more fuel because it is running too lean? (remember this is with the efie OFF). With the efie ON, I am reading between 14 to 16, so, what is that 14 to 16 I know that is what the computer is seen, but how does it change the amount of fuel that it is injecting if it is reading normal 14:1 ? should it be reading on the rich side like11:1 or 10:1 with the efie ON to then tell the injector to use less fuel? The only time it goes to the 10:1 is when I step on the gas it does that with the efie ON OR OFF I know the efie is doing some thing because if I set the volt over .400 the eng losses power and run rough. I am new at this, so hang with me.Crazy
01-11-2008 01:40 PM
mike Offline

Don't worry about asking questions. That's what we're here for.

However, I may not be able to give you a complete answer yet. However, I'd like you to check out some things. It sounds like you're setting your EFIE too high. I need to modify my instructions, as they are leading people to settings higher than what they need. I run my EFIE at about .110, for instance. If you set your EFIE too high, then it will cause the computer to think that the oxygen sensor doesn't work, and it will ignore the sensor's data. This is called "open loop" operation, and you will most certainly get worse gas mileage in this condition. It would likely give a rich reading on your gauge as well. You probably need to start much lower, like .075 to .100 volts on the EFIE and work up slowly from there. If you are in open loop operation, your "check engine" light should also come on. Note that after setting the EFIE to a lower setting, you may need to drive it for a while before the engine light goes out, and before the computer drops back into closed loop operation. It depends on how your computer is programmed. Most cars go back into closed loop as soon as the computer sees valid data from the sensor.

As to why the gauge is reading 16 - 18 with the EFIE off, I'm at a loss to explain. One thing I can surmise is that it's inaccurate. It probably can show comparisons OK. For instance if it reads higher after you make a change, it probably really is a leaner air/fuel mixture. But it should be reading right around 14.7 if the computer and the oxygen sensor are both working properly. Computer's don't usually go bad, but the sensors can wear out over time, and this may need to be checked. You could have one on the way out.

But I'd like to hear the results of a lower EFIE setting. I think you'll find that your gas mileage increases, and you get consistent readings on your gauge. Let me know what happens.

Visit Our Documents Page
01-11-2008 02:22 PM
irving Offline

you are on line do not hang up yet
01-11-2008 02:37 PM
irving Offline

you are on line do not hang up yet
01-11-2008 02:42 PM
irving Offline

R&G 1.100 TO .400
B&G .200 TO .860
R & B .244
RPM 1500
A/F MIXTURE 15.5 TO 10.0
IDLE READINGS
RPM 800
R&B .251
R&G .129 TO .136
B&G .377 TO .378
A/F MIXTURE 14:1 FIX
the O2 sensor is brand new, I have headers on the eng ,the eng light is out ,coming back from Tennessee I was drafting the 18 wheelers and you can see the changes on the gauge a/f going from rich to lean when drafting from the 18 wheeler so the gauge is working it read 17:1 fix as soon i loosed the draft it change to 10:1 doing 70 miles pH that is with the efie off with it on did not go over 16:1
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2008 03:18 PM by irving.)
01-11-2008 02:47 PM