Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
switched to NaOH and my results tanked....
birchmark Offline

switched to NaOH and my results tanked....
I am confused. I was getting some nice results from my cell using salt as an electrolyte and then also baking soda (wulfram's cocktail). However, my plates were taking a beating. I switched to NaOH and found that milages went back to what is estimated for my vehicle with no fuel saving device.

I am very confused. I have about a 3/4 gallon container with four cells, +-+- configuration. I am producing about 500 ml of HHO / minute at 20 amps and 11 volts.

It was weird that with the NaOH the volts dropped from 12...

But the cell is going nuts and making what seems like a good amount of bubbles. Same as I had before. But now... no results. Why?

Anyone have similar problems or inconsistent results?
07-13-2008 07:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CheezWiz Offline

RE: switched to NaOH and my results tanked....
Electrolyte is not to blame. So long as gas production is the same, the proble lies elsewhere in the system. Leaks, etc...
07-13-2008 07:13 PM
howiemandel Offline

I was using baking soda, and switched to naOH. I didnt notice any change, other then the water stays cleaner, and the plates stay cleaner with the noah.
07-13-2008 07:15 PM
birchmark Offline

Thanks guys, I will check for a leak. There is gas coming out the end of my plastic tube, but maybe when it is connected to the air intake and the engine is running there is not enough pressure, especially if there is a leak.

If there is a leak is there any health concerns with vapors from the cell making their way into the cab of the car? I keep my vents on recycled air within cab just to be safe.... but I am new to this. Does NaOH add harmful vapors to the gas produced in the cell?
07-14-2008 06:41 AM
colchiro Offline

Air that enters the vehicle does not come from the engine compartment. That would be too warm. There's enough air moving through there so it should just be swept under your car.

Whatever you did to change electrolyte is suspect. Did you remove your cell for cleaning or rinsing and reinstall it?

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-14-2008 07:58 AM
hoozadoctor Offline

A slightly of topic question but at the same time related. I see where you meantio about air leaks. I am now assuming it is important not to have any leaks. The guy that helped me build my cells has suggested that I have the cell vented, I queried that but he said I wouldn't lose any hydrgen. I am now confused.

Doc
07-14-2008 08:26 AM
howiemandel Offline

hoozadoctor Wrote:A slightly of topic question but at the same time related. I see where you meantio about air leaks. I am now assuming it is important not to have any leaks. The guy that helped me build my cells has suggested that I have the cell vented, I queried that but he said I wouldn't lose any hydrgen. I am now confused.

Doc

iF your using vacuum, you shouldnt leak any. Ok, you will some. But in a vacuum, its ok to lose "some" to keep the amount of vacuum down a bit. Some cases if the vacuum is too high, you start sucking in water into the intake. Still a small risk, however a risk. If your using an atmospheric generator a leak will kill it.
Also when talking about having a leak regarding vacuum, its ok to create this leak on the cell itself in the form of an adjustable valve.
Visek and Wulfram use aquariam valves. Me, im trying to not buy much for it, so im using the valve that comes with an airconditioning recharge unit. Works well. Will buy aquariam valve later, but just testing still.
07-14-2008 08:46 AM
birchmark Offline

colchiro Wrote:Air that enters the vehicle does not come from the engine compartment. That would be too warm. There's enough air moving through there so it should just be swept under your car.

Whatever you did to change electrolyte is suspect. Did you remove your cell for cleaning or rinsing and reinstall it?

I did remove it and I flushed the cell plates the container with water. I suspect that I have a top that is not sealing well anymore. There may not be enough vacuum in my air intake to do the job.
07-14-2008 09:38 AM
colchiro Offline

My clear water filter container had an o-ring at the top, which I didn't notice had fallen out, making my cell leak like a sieve.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-14-2008 10:34 AM