Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
temporary electrolyte for conditioning?
Malice 1 Offline

temporary electrolyte for conditioning?
I've got a smack booster built up and it looks really nice. I've ordered some potassium hydroxide flakes, but they won't arrive until next week. I'd like to start conditioning my cell now, since I have a 6 hour drive this weekend.

Can I use a temp substitute, like lemon juice, or some other household good for about 6 hours without causing any corrossion?

While I'm conditioning the cell, should I dump the HHO overboard, or let it feed into the engine?

1994 Chevy camaro Z28 5.7L V8 M6
33mpg & climbing
06-26-2008 10:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jksav7 Offline

RE: temporary electrolyte for conditioning?
According to Bob Boyce you don't want to let anything citiric or acidic come into contact with those plates. Get some NaOH from the local hardware store. You've worked too hard on that booster to expose the plates to lemon juice, etc.

It's best to condition the plates in a separate container in your garage. Let it run between 4-8 amps (not less than 4 amps) for an extended period of time.

Malice 1 Wrote:I've got a smack booster built up and it looks really nice. I've ordered some potassium hydroxide flakes, but they won't arrive until next week. I'd like to start conditioning my cell now, since I have a 6 hour drive this weekend.

Can I use a temp substitute, like lemon juice, or some other household good for about 6 hours without causing any corrossion?

While I'm conditioning the cell, should I dump the HHO overboard, or let it feed into the engine?
06-26-2008 11:21 AM
Malice 1 Offline

I'm limited in that respect. I live in an apartment right now, and I don't have a plug in car battery charger that I can use to condition my cell through a 120vac wall outlet. I kinda have to condition it in my vehicle, because that is my only source of 12vdc power.

I guess I'll try and find some NaOH at lowes. Is that one sodium hydroxide? I always get them mixed up. What aisle would I find a chemical like that? I doubt it would be in lawn care.

33mpg & climbing
06-26-2008 12:05 PM
chynewalker Offline

Na = sodium
Ko = pottasium
06-26-2008 12:39 PM
texasdanml430 Offline

hey, let us know what your wideband o2 says when you start adding
the hho.
06-26-2008 02:13 PM
Malice 1 Offline

If I have to wait for my KoH to show up, it'll be while. I can't find any local stores that have NaoH.

33mpg & climbing
06-26-2008 02:22 PM
hogie Offline

If you're looking at Lowes look for Roebic,its a drain cleaner in the plumbing aisle/
06-26-2008 03:32 PM
cmac Offline

Did you look for soap making supplys in your area? Google it with your (city/state).
06-26-2008 10:06 PM
cmac Offline

On your smacks did you put a opening to add water without opening the top? Especially to balance the amps by add your electrolyte. I built one today and it seems removing the top repeatedly would be a pain. I think I may put a clean out valve on the bottom to. Thoughts?]
06-26-2008 10:18 PM
jksav7 Offline

You local hardware store should have NaOH (sodium hydroxide). It' draincleaner.

Malice 1 Wrote:I'm limited in that respect. I live in an apartment right now, and I don't have a plug in car battery charger that I can use to condition my cell through a 120vac wall outlet. I kinda have to condition it in my vehicle, because that is my only source of 12vdc power.

I guess I'll try and find some NaOH at lowes. Is that one sodium hydroxide? I always get them mixed up. What aisle would I find a chemical like that? I doubt it would be in lawn care.
06-27-2008 01:02 AM