Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
timing jump
hornswogel52 Offline

timing jump
Iam new to this forum and didnt know where to post this but here goes. I have a chery engine made in china in an off road buggy. The problem I have is that the timing is retarded and it tries to go to normal advance but something is preventing this. It surges all the time under load but is very noticeable between 2500 and 3500 RPM. It will also jump on every shift 3or4 times then smooth out. I have checked MAP/IAT, CTS, TPS, Cam sensor. Intake vacuum is around 18 to22in. at idle. I went so far as to change the sensors even though they checked out OK. I was going to try changing some of the voltage inputs but I wanted to try asking someone else first. I used to be a GM mechanic 28 years worth but Iam retired now and When I retired it was at the begiening of the computer in cars. The engine is 4cyl, 1100cc, DOHC. I even tried a new computer didnt change. If any of you has any ideas It would sure help. Thanks
05-07-2013 10:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: timing jump
Are you using HHO in this system? Or any other fuel enhancement technology?

I just want to be clear on why you need to adjust the sensor inputs. This can certainly be done. I just want to understand what problem is being solved.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
05-09-2013 03:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hornswogel52 Offline

NO the system has not had any mods yet. It is very hard to explain what it is doing. It varies so much in the way it acts, that is why Iam having a hard time trying to find the problem. I think it might be a voltage drop in the system but as of yet I havn't put together an adapter for the ICM plug to check while driving it. THe battery is new and the alt checks ok. I am not to sure about the fuse box it can't be checked from the back because it has a type of epoxy poured in, but there is a very slight drop in voltage when the wires are moved around only up to .7 or .8 volts. This may be more when driving because everything is solid mounted engine and trans. This might have more of an effect at the sensors because they are more sensitive to slight drops in current. I'am about 85% sure it is timing because I have had a light and meter hooked up while driving and it shows a slight variense in the reading, it is to fast a jump to get a good fix on how much though.
05-10-2013 09:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

I'm sorry. This is something I'm not expert in. But you are correct to get this fixed before diving into mods. Mods would just confuse the issue. Getting your engine running correctly first, makes it much easier to then be successful with mods.

Maybe someone else here can help you, but I think the best results will be found on sites that specialize in basic engine repair, particularly if they specifically cover your specific vehicle or engine.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
05-13-2013 03:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply