Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
to freeze or not to freeze?
alscrimp Offline

to freeze or not to freeze?
I just changed over to a dry cell setup. Is it safe to run your dry cell during the winter (think Michigan, brrrr..). Also what do you introduce into the electrolyte to control freeze-ups? Maybe I should remove it for the winter. Any thoughts?
12-09-2009 07:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: to freeze or not to freeze?
Just replace about 25% of your water with denatured alcohol. You can get it from Home Depot. Put in the same amount of electrolyte, as if it were all water. Hydrogen production will start slow but build up as the unit warms up.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
12-09-2009 10:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thomasbala Offline

(12-09-2009 10:16 AM)mike Wrote:  Just replace about 25% of your water with denatured alcohol. You can get it from Home Depot. Put in the same amount of electrolyte, as if it were all water. Hydrogen production will start slow but build up as the unit warms up.
I've had some pretty good luck with "Heet". you can buy it at any auto parts store.
12-09-2009 06:58 PM
abe Offline

Alscrimp, I don't know what part of the country your from. But if you run 28% Sodium Hydroxide and use a PWM to control your amps.I don't thank you'll have a proublem with freezing. Good luck and be safe.
12-10-2009 04:27 PM
thomasbala Offline

(12-10-2009 04:27 PM)abe Wrote:  Alscrimp, I don't know what part of the country your from. But if you run 28% Sodium Hydroxide and use a PWM to control your amps.I don't thank you'll have a proublem with freezing. Good luck and be safe.
Abe:

Are you doing the 28% by weight or volume?
12-10-2009 06:19 PM
abe Offline

(12-10-2009 06:19 PM)thomasbala Wrote:  
(12-10-2009 04:27 PM)abe Wrote:  Alscrimp, I don't know what part of the country your from. But if you run 28% Sodium Hydroxide and use a PWM to control your amps.I don't thank you'll have a problem with freezing. Good luck and be safe.
Abe:

Are you doing the 28% by weight or volume?

28% is the total amount I add .check this out, Smack better at this than me http://www.youtube.com/user/eletrikride#...HFxU_nyXvc .But at that volume it Will burn you. Wear gloves when ever handling this electrolite or anything it touches.That why I say, Be Safe.
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2009 06:15 PM by abe.)
12-10-2009 07:22 PM
HHOKRAFT.se
Unregistered

(12-09-2009 07:27 AM)alscrimp Wrote:  I just changed over to a dry cell setup. Is it safe to run your dry cell during the winter (think Michigan, brrrr..). Also what do you introduce into the electrolyte to control freeze-ups? Maybe I should remove it for the winter. Any thoughts?

hello there..

You can also use NaHO up to 20% of the desilled water weight, for example 14% NaHO will hold your water in fluied form donw to -20 Celsius, you also need high quality PWM to adjust your destire amount of current.

If you have colder then - 20 Celsius
( maby like -30 down to - 40 Celsius)

and you want to fast melt your NaHo water mix to fluied form

(or if you use a circulatepump for your electrolyt water mixture that can damage if your water is in a hard slush form, and you wish to operation your pump as soon as possible)

you kan use heaters to watertank and maby even to the cell, efficiant 12v infrared lights that heats your watertank from the outside, and of cource you can put thermostat that controll when your circulate pump have "ok" to operate and when the heating system needs to go on.

But remember to not overheat your hydrogen cells winter time when NaHO KOH levels are much higher, Keep your water temperatures @ 30-40 Celsius at the most. To provent steaming NaHO or KOH in to the engine.
10-19-2010 06:21 AM
Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

Personally, I think you should move south. Wink

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
10-19-2010 08:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mojoman317717 Offline

Seriously though, I live in Minnesota and some of you guys just don't get it. In January and February there are as many as 30 days where the temp never gets above ZERO F!! That's not even talking about the wind chill!! Is 25% denatured alcohol really going to stand up to that kind of brutal cold without freezing, or should I start planning on wrapping my cell in heat tape?
11-09-2010 11:08 AM
Mr. Binford 2000 Offline

Seriously though, look it up, and see.
NaOH 18% solution freezing point is approx. -14*F
KOH 28% solution freezing point is approx. -58*F
isopropyl alcohol 50% solution freezing point is approx. -24*F
11-09-2010 04:25 PM