Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
to freeze or not to freeze?
mike Offline

RE: to freeze or not to freeze?
(11-09-2010 04:25 PM)Mr. Binford 2000 Wrote:  Seriously though, look it up, and see.
NaOH 18% solution freezing point is approx. -14*F
KOH 28% solution freezing point is approx. -58*F
isopropyl alcohol 50% solution freezing point is approx. -24*F

Yes, but add a KOH 28% to the isopropyl alcohol 50% solution, and you should be good.

But really, you need to move south! Smile

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
11-10-2010 12:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mojoman317717 Offline

OK, to clarify, I make a 50% solution of distilled water and isopropyl alcohol and then make a 28% KOH solution out of that.

Is the 28% by weight or volume?

By weight that's like 10.54 lb/gallon!! That's an insanely high amount!! See the chart at this link: http://www.ashtachemicals.com/products/kohchem.htm

My hydroxy booster amperage will go through the roof almost immediately won't it??
11-10-2010 02:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

All I'm saying is that whatever amount of KOH you put into the water - use the same amount in the water/alcohol mix. I didn't even pay attention to what your percentages were. I usually figure out what volume of KOH to add to a gallon of water. That's how I do my mixes. Well, whatever volume you figure out, use the same volume when mixing with the water/alcohol mix.

Visit Our Documents Page
11-11-2010 11:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mr. Binford 2000 Offline

The solution is by weight, 28% KOH would be 7.2 oz of water and 2.8 oz KOH, yes it is alot of chemical. Why would you need alcohol at that strength? Even at 22% solution freezing point is around -20*F. Use the alcohol in the bubblers.

The 10.54#/gallon is the weight of the solution per gallon, water and chemical.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2010 03:35 PM by Mr. Binford 2000.)
11-11-2010 03:25 PM
mojoman317717 Offline

That solution strength will send the amperage of any cell off the chart, right??

This isn't making any sense. That's way too much chemical.

I understand that the alcoholin the bubbler would dry the HHO of any water vapor, but won't the alcohol evaporate and send alcohol vapor into the air intake?

Will someone please explain this from the beginning?? I'm lost.
11-11-2010 03:57 PM
mike Offline

I made a mistake in my first post. I just copied the KOH percentage from your first post. I didn't pay attention to what the % was. Yes, at 28% by weight, you would not need any alcohol. It would be too strong to use.

Here's what I was trying to convey. Work out your KOH percentage that works correctly for you cell. Your cell make should be able to help you with that, but basically you adjust the KOH amount to achieve the amperage you want to get.

Now when the weather gets cold, instead of using distilled water, you use distilled water and alcohol. But the point I was making is that you use the same amount of KOH. The KOH will lower the freezing point of the water. In your climate that may not be enough. The alcohol will lower it further.

Visit Our Documents Page
11-12-2010 12:19 PM