Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
too much water vapor
morempg Offline

too much water vapor
problems
I have built the gas4free system and installed it on my 2007 GMC duramax turbo diesel, I have two problems.
1) too much water vapor going through the tube, water is getting into my air intake.
2) I'm not getting any increased mpg, none.

The system is bubbling like crazy and producing HHO, but I'm not getting any benefit from it yet.

Please help.

looking 4 more mpg!
02-26-2009 01:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thomasbala Offline

RE: too much water vapor
(02-26-2009 01:23 PM)morempg Wrote:  problems
I have built the gas4free system and installed it on my 2007 GMC duramax turbo diesel, I have two problems.
1) too much water vapor going through the tube, water is getting into my air intake.
2) I'm not getting any increased mpg, none.

The system is bubbling like crazy and producing HHO, but I'm not getting any benefit from it yet.

Please help.

looking 4 more mpg!
Sounds like you've got a heat problem; you're producing steam, not HHO. Give us some more data, e.g. LPM cold; LPM hot; electrolyte; how many plates; etc. It's going to take 5 or 6 LPM HHO [not water vapor] to see some results. Do you have O2 sensors?
02-26-2009 01:53 PM
colchiro Offline

Heat caused from a poor cell design. You need to get closer to 2 volts for each set of plates. If you have several "jars", you could wire them in series to make them run cooler.

I agree with Thomas, you probably need a lot more output.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
02-26-2009 01:57 PM
mike Offline

(02-26-2009 01:53 PM)thomasbala Wrote:  Sounds like you've got a heat problem; you're producing steam, not HHO. Give us some more data, e.g. LPM cold; LPM hot; electrolyte; how many plates; etc. It's going to take 5 or 6 LPM HHO [not water vapor] to see some results. Do you have O2 sensors?

I talked to Bob Boyce about this very subject, while I was at the HHO games in January.

He says that you need 1/4-1/2 liter/min per liter of engine displacement. Therefore a 4 liter engine needs 1 to 2 liters/min. Now realize he's talking about pure HHO. His systems run at 90 degrees, and produce no steam at all. So with the steam, all bets are off because you don't know how much HHO you have.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
02-26-2009 02:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
morempg Offline

I'm using 6 negative plates and 5 positive plates, just like it said to do in the plans. The water/ 1tbls peroxide mix does get very hot.
I'm using 12 gauge wire and 30 amp fuse to power the unit.
how can I reduce the heat?
How do I test for LPM?
I have a 6.6 liter engine. Is this gas4free system even capable of producing enough HHO to make a difference?
Thanks for your advice, it's REALLY appreciated.

Mike
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2009 03:26 PM by morempg.)
02-26-2009 03:22 PM
colchiro Offline

Mike, was Bob's LPM figure for diesel engines or gasoline? Diesel's run a lot more air thru the engine, which IMO means you'd need more hho.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
02-26-2009 03:43 PM
morempg Offline

colchiro,
I'm assuming his figures are for a diesel engine since that's what I said I had, to be sure, you'd have to ask him.

Mike
02-26-2009 03:50 PM
colchiro Offline

I thought I was. Wink

Sorry, I didn't realize we had more than one Mike.

I deleted your other post which was similar to this one.

Rick

(This post was last modified: 02-26-2009 04:04 PM by colchiro.)
02-26-2009 03:53 PM
mike Offline

(02-26-2009 03:43 PM)colchiro Wrote:  Mike, was Bob's LPM figure for diesel engines or gasoline? Diesel's run a lot more air thru the engine, which IMO means you'd need more hho.

He didn't specify, actually. I took it to mean both. But the real point is, that he was recommending a much smaller amount of HHO as the recommended correct amount than I had thought.
(02-26-2009 03:50 PM)morempg Wrote:  colchiro,
I'm assuming his figures are for a diesel engine since that's what I said I had, to be sure, you'd have to ask him.

Mike

My bad. I hijacked your thread a little bit there.

But per those recommendations you only need 1.5 - 3.0 liters/min. I would think you'll do fine with 2.0 liters/min. To find out if you're getting that out of your electrolyzer, you can use a 2 liter soda bottle in a bucket of water, and run the output of your electrolyzer into it. Time how long it takes to displace all the water from the soda bottle.

But note, if you're electrolyzer is running hot, you'll need to make adjustments to get it running cool. Otherwise you'll only be measuring steam. Good electrolyzers can run at a temperature where you can easily make contact with your hand without the surfaces being too hot. Then you'll know that the gas coming out is HHO and not steam.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2009 09:40 AM by mike.)
02-27-2009 09:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

Thanks Mike. I trust Bob's judgement.

Rick

02-27-2009 01:33 PM