Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
tuning my HHO generator
glass-shard169 Offline

tuning my HHO generator
I am new to this forum, but am sure glad I found it. I have been trying to do this on my own by gathering info online and from a relative. Research on how to make an generator has been hard, and all the poor victim/skeptics don't make it easier.

I need help tuning my setup: My problem is amperage, which is why I am leaning towards a PWM.

My generator setup:
1) Seven pints of distilled water
2) 20cc of KOH
3) (4) 4" plates with holes leaving 8.52" exposed surface area totaling 68.16"
4) Plates are spaced 0.1875" apart.
5) Starting amperage is about 20, and it clearly exceeds 35 when I place an old ammeter on it.

Here are my two questions: Confused
1) Where should I adjust my generator now? ie-what should i change first?
2) Should I make or buy a PWM?
05-30-2011 10:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
glass-shard169 Offline

RE: tuning my HHO generator
(05-30-2011 10:30 AM)glass-shard169 Wrote:  I am new to this forum, but am sure glad I found it. I have been trying to do this on my own by gathering info online and from a relative. Research on how to make an generator has been hard, and all the poor victim/skeptics don't make it easier.

I need help tuning my setup: My problem is amperage, which is why I am leaning towards a PWM.

My generator setup:
2) 20cc of KOH
5) Starting amperage is about 20, and it clearly exceeds 35 when I place an old ammeter on it.

Oh yes, I built it as a wet-cell design before I knew better. Cest Le Vie.
05-30-2011 12:21 PM
glass-shard169 Offline

(05-30-2011 12:21 PM)glass-shard169 Wrote:  
(05-30-2011 10:30 AM)glass-shard169 Wrote:  I am new to this forum, but am sure glad I found it. I have been trying to do this on my own by gathering info online and from a relative. Research on how to make an generator has been hard, and all the poor victim/skeptics don't make it easier.

My generator setup:
2) 20cc of KOH

Oh yes, I built it as a wet-cell design before I knew better. Cest Le Vie.

I feel silly replying to my own thread, but I keep coming up with more questions after I read through this forum.

1) Is it true that 10amps should produce 1lpm of gas? How do I measure that?
2) I have no neutral plates. What is the point of them and will they reduce my current draw?
3) Is there a usable or generalized ratio of KOH/water/and metal surface area?
05-30-2011 03:57 PM
mike Offline

(05-30-2011 03:57 PM)glass-shard169 Wrote:  I feel silly replying to my own thread, but I keep coming up with more questions after I read through this forum.

1) Is it true that 10amps should produce 1lpm of gas? How do I measure that?
2) I have no neutral plates. What is the point of them and will they reduce my current draw?
3) Is there a usable or generalized ratio of KOH/water/and metal surface area?

1. No. The best I've ever heard of is 15 amps per lpm, but usually those reports are probably not reliable measurements. Measuring hot gasses skews the results by as much as 50%. If you were getting a good honest LPM at 20 amps, you would be doing fine.

2. Neutral plates are absolutely required to get efficient use of 12 volts. Your plate to plate voltage should be about 2 - 2.5 volts or so for efficient operation. To get this you need at least 4 or perhaps 5 neutral plates. You will then need much more KOH. However, you will find that you can control your amperage better because it won't try to run so hot.

3. If there is, I don't really know what it is. The other factor you need to consider is plate to plate voltage, as well as surface area and distance between plates.

I wouldn't bother with a PWM. You'd be better off buying a good dry cell. Get that working by itself, and then later, if you are making good mileage gains, you can add a constant current PWM. The PWM will make the system require much less user intervention.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
05-31-2011 10:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
glass-shard169 Offline

So, would a configuration like this [-nn+nn-] work well?
Should I keep the gap I already have of about 3/8"?

I imagine it is an issue of trial an error until I achieve the desired 2-2.5 volts across the plates, right? Is that 2-2.5 volts read between every plate, or just the [+] and [-]?
05-31-2011 07:10 PM
glass-shard169 Offline

I added eight neutral plates in this order [+nnnn--nnnn+] which is similar to smack's design with the same spacing. The unit runs cooler, but now it sucks the water out of the bubbler and into itself. WTF? Any ideas?

I would at least like to get this wet cell working to some degree before I give up. It will be months before I can save up enough money for a dry cell unit.
06-10-2011 02:38 PM
David Gonzales Offline

I just recently got mine (wer cell) up and operational and had similar problems to your when I first got it going.

I went in and got rid of quite a few of the powered plates I had and added more nuetral plates. Running MUCH cooler now and putting out about the same amount of gas although I think a lot of the gas it was producing earlier was due to steam as it was gettting so hot and drawing so many ammps. It tended to keep building more and more heat and drawing more amps till I added all the additionalnuetral plates.

Mine is similar to yours in that it has two negatives in the middle, two positives on the outside and 7 nuetrals betweeen each neg and pos. They are 3x6 inches in size and put out a litre in about a minute.

It is sucking the bubbler water into the hydrolyzer when you turn it off as it cools down. Mine did this too. Put in a little one way check valve up high (above the water line) between your bubbler and the hydrolizer or add it to the top of your hydrolizer in a similar fashion to keep the electrolite out of it. This will stop it sucking the water out of the bubbler as it cools. I also made a little cloth type filter to fit onto the check valve to keep it from sucking in any debris as it cools.

My spacing is quite a bit closer than that too. I believe I am at about 1/16 of an inch (that is the thickness of the nylon washers I used at assembly). Also mine is crosshatched really good with rough sandpaper to give it LOTS of nucleation points.
06-13-2011 12:10 PM
GoingHHO Offline

Hi all new to the site and am just getting started on building my HHO kits. I am only using three (3) plates - + - configuration. It does get hot but I can hold it in my hand without discomfort. With one set of plates it is cranking out some gas.
@glass-shard. I saw a HHO output demo. All the demonstrator did was take a 1 liter (coke type bottle Not advertising) bottle, cut a hole in the bottom for tubing to go through. Ran the tubing through the bottom up to the cap. Started up the generator and started his stop watch. The bottle began rising. It took like 17 seconds to fill up the 1 liter. So he was achieving 3 liters p/min with his generator. Guess you could try this to check you gas output.
Hope that helps you.
I am seeking 2 pieces of information
1. how to regulate the HH fuel flow minimum flow at idle to increase flow at driving and highway speeds.
2. I have heard where people have connected a shutoff switch to the fuel pump and are running completely on hydrogen and then switch back to gas as needed.
All comments welcome.
-Rick
06-13-2011 07:21 PM
mike Offline

(06-13-2011 12:10 PM)David Gonzales Wrote:  It is sucking the bubbler water into the hydrolyzer when you turn it off as it cools down. Mine did this too. Put in a little one way check valve up high (above the water line) between your bubbler and the hydrolizer or add it to the top of your hydrolizer in a similar fashion to keep the electrolite out of it. This will stop it sucking the water out of the bubbler as it cools. I also made a little cloth type filter to fit onto the check valve to keep it from sucking in any debris as it cools.

You actually want to use 2 check valves for this purpose. One check valve will cause your reserovoir or cell to be under heavy vacuum. See the first diagram in the these installation instructions that show how to install a T and check valves for a bubbler: http://www.dry-cells.com/doc/cell_install.pdf

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
06-16-2011 08:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
David Gonzales Offline

Good point Mike.

Actually that is how I have mine set up too. I at first had one in between the bubbler and hydrolizer to allow flow only into the bubbler but it would still suck the bubbler dry (guess these cheap-o one way check valves really are pretty cheap) when cooling down. After it did that a couple times I added the other one to allow for cool down/suction and it seems to work real good now.
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2011 08:59 AM by David Gonzales.)
06-21-2011 08:58 AM