Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
two 12 volt supplies
blondebeard Offline

Sad two 12 volt supplies
Well I have a kind of a mystery, I checked the voltages of the four wires to the left oxygen sensor (I have three), and found that two of the wires showed 13 volts and the other two less than a volt. Its a 2003 Ford Ranger with flex fuel 3.0 liter. Hard to figure out which wire is the signal wire with this arrangement! the wires are coded as: Orange; Orange with blue stripe; Red with black stripe; and Yellow with Light green stripe. Help!Sad
07-27-2008 08:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mark Blab Offline

RE: two 12 volt supplies
You need a wiring schematic for the truck, either purchase a Haynes repair manual or a suitable substitute this may solve the mystery, in the worse case scenario the sensor may be more complicated than the common Internal combustion engine O2 sensor, it may have more complicated interfaces and algorithms in relation to the communications between the vehicles computer lets hope not.
07-27-2008 08:28 AM
blondebeard Offline

I do have a Haynes repair manual, It shows orange with light blue stripe feeding across a sine wave in the Heated Oxygen Sensor into the Yellow with green stripe wire that goes to the PCM and the solid Orange wire feeding across what looks like capacitor sign in the Oxygen Sensor and going out to red with black stripe wire to the PCM also. So which is the Oxygen sensor signal wire the one that goes through the sine wave looking one or the one that looks like the capacitor one?
07-27-2008 08:38 AM
colchiro Offline

With 4 wire sensor, you should have 12 volt and gnd for the heater.

That leaves the other two, which should have ground and 0-1 volt varying... o2 sensor aka narrow-band sensor.

OR

Both wires will have around 2-3.5 volts and one will stay steady and the other varies... wide-band sensor.

Check your emissions tag under the hood. It might suggest what kind of sensor you have. Mine says "a-f sensor".

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-27-2008 08:54 AM
blondebeard Offline

I know what wires are supposed to do what Rick, but with ignition on and disconnecting the plug from the oxygen sensor, I took these readings from the plug: two of the pins had 11.96volts, the other two had 0.43 volts steady.... no variations..... any other ideas?
07-27-2008 09:09 AM
colchiro Offline

You need to measure them without disconnecting the plug. Use a pin to pierce the insulation (or cut away a small piece) and measure that way.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-27-2008 09:46 AM
blondebeard Offline

OOOps, my bad, I thought you should measure with the plug separated..... sorry about that..... thanks
07-27-2008 01:56 PM
mr frog Offline

blondebeard Wrote:OOOps, my bad, I thought you should measure with the plug separated..... sorry about that..... thanks

The diagrams I found in Alldata show as follows:

Red/Black = Signal
Orange = Signal ground
Orange/Blue = heater power
yellow/Blue = heater ground

Hope this helps!
07-29-2008 08:32 PM