Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
uberEFIE
uberhho Offline

uberEFIE
Dear public,
First of all, I’ve done a fair share of reading, I like to call it research; after all, that’s exactly what us ‘HHO guys’, tinkers’ are doing-- helping the masses. In general, everyone who wanted to be the first to go public on the open market has done so I assume for the opportunity that presented itself in the past. They’re right. However, there are still billions of cars if not trillions (maybe even a few trillion). Ok ,I said trillion, hello? I must say that a lot of people have seen figures in the billions that they have become desensitized to 100 billion, or one trillion.

As for the electronics, there needs to be a simpler way to trick the vehicles computer. This is merely a small +VDC, O.k., I have seen some that has a +V readout display (a new device called the ‘pre-cat’O2 simulator/EFIE) which, so far have been most appealing aesthetically. However, surely, one would much rather prefer a device which is a mechanized device that automatically adjusts itself in conjunction with the O2 sensor. The installer could merely make some connections for in which later time the device would be attached with a connector that plugs-and-drives.

Is there any way to just give the Joe Smuckatelli’s out there to help with any of this? I have built two of Zero’s dual EFIE circuits which were not so bad because I can follow instructions. These where my first boards to attempt and was by no means easy. Now, I need to test these bad girls so I can go put them to work for me. Is there any methodical way of going over these circuits? If so, by all means let’s get that information out there for us ‘HHO guys’.

Now is a good time, according to AAA with gas at a national record low @$1.855, its downtime guys. We should get ball going before the man sticks to us again.
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2009 09:19 PM by uberhho.)
01-31-2009 05:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
uberhho Offline

Rolleyes DMM testing procedure sticky?
It would be great to see a 'sticky thread' that could tell us what to do with my Digital Mulitimeter (DMM)? I have these red and black probes but I know I'm not testing right. I could read my manual. However, if there could be one to guide me with some insight with a 'put this to this and that to that type' of method would be of great help.
01-31-2009 05:33 PM
colchiro Offline

RE: DMM testing procedure sticky?
The best reference is already in your possession. Wink Anything we'd point you to would be generic and would be different from your model.

I suspect the efie installation instructions in my Documents link would help some.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
01-31-2009 05:54 PM
colchiro Offline

RE: uberEFIE
Mike has already improved on the efie, the wideband efie only needs one wire to connect to the o2 wire and the user no-longer needs to cut any wires. FWIW, this is probably the only working wideband efie on the market. Many of the other ones for sale only work on the 5 wire o2's (which works with everybody's 5 year old efie).

Regarding your efie's, if you put your voltmeter on 2 VDC scale and the black on the input and the red probe on the output and turn the knob CW, if you see the voltage climb and it's stable, you know it works. FWIW, this is also how you monitor it in the vehicle.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
01-31-2009 06:01 PM
uberhho Offline

I'm have a lot of trouble pinning down the problem.
01-31-2009 06:22 PM
colchiro Offline

Sorry you're having trouble. This site is catered to troubleshooting pre-assembled efies. Mike's classic efie (not the WB model) is similar to ZFF's design so the installation and adjustment will be the same. There's too much that can go wrong when assembling your own (especially when you also had to buy your own parts). That's why most people don't want to go thru that abuse.

I replied to your other post about testing and test lead connections. If you consider the input of your efie the green wire (and black jack) and the output the white wire (and red jack), our documentation should work with your model.

Rick

01-31-2009 06:35 PM
uberhho Offline

(01-31-2009 06:01 PM)colchiro Wrote:  Mike has already improved on the efie, the wideband efie only needs one wire to connect to the o2 wire and the user no-longer needs to cut any wires. FWIW, this is probably the only working wideband efie on the market. Many of the other ones for sale only work on the 5 wire o2's (which works with everybody's 5 year old efie).

Regarding your efie's, if you put your voltmeter on 2 VDC scale and the black on the input and the red probe on the output and turn the knob CW, if you see the voltage climb and it's stable, you know it works. FWIW, this is also how you monitor it in the vehicle.

Is this just a new circuit to build? What if one does not have a wideband efie? Does one just install a new wideband O2 sensor and attach it with Mikes new design?

As for the input and output I have a dual EFIE so I will be just testing one of the two circuits that attach to the O2 sensor. Theres the input from O2 and output to ECU right?
01-31-2009 10:06 PM
uberhho Offline

(01-31-2009 06:35 PM)colchiro Wrote:  Sorry you're having trouble. This site is catered to troubleshooting pre-assembled efies. Mike's classic efie (not the WB model) is similar to ZFF's design so the installation and adjustment will be the same. There's too much that can go wrong when assembling your own (especially when you also had to buy your own parts). That's why most people don't want to go thru that abuse.

I replied to your other post about testing and test lead connections. If you consider the input of your efie the green wire (and black jack) and the output the white wire (and red jack), our documentation should work with your model.

Could you perhaps lead me to a place that would cater to one finding out how to troubleshooting their own efies? I know there is too much to go wrong that is why I need to test all of the variables to make sure that nothing went wrong. Assuming I follow the schematics and order the correct part I should be OK as long as they are not defective. I need to know that. If anyone is serious about building they should get their own parts, then that way they know where they came from. Now, that leads us to testing the circuit. I'm new to electronics but can follow directions so now I'm stuck with these boards and I have no idea how to use them. The Wiseman text regarding the efie is not very clear to me and was suprised to see most components on the parts list to come from RadioShack. Hmm

Thanks for your help with the efie now I just need to find a power supply.
01-31-2009 10:16 PM
colchiro Offline

For starts, you do not want to use a automotive battery charger to power an efie, too much electrical noise, but a brick between 9 vdc and 12 vdc should work.

Regarding troubleshooting an efie, I can think of only one person, Mike, who sells them here.

What's the problem with your efie? Are they both exhibiting the same behavior?

You probably could search the efie section for posts with ZFF in the title and find where this was discussed in the past. There should be a couple people that have built them. I don't know if they're around now, it gets quiet here in the winter.

Rick

02-01-2009 06:01 AM
colchiro Offline

Wideband efie's are for wideband sensors and vice versa. The only way to run a car designed for a narrow band o2 from a wideband o2 would be to have a converter, which would be at least several hundred $, probably not worth it.

There's nothing to build since Mike is the only one who has those plans and I doubt there's plans to release a kit any time soon. They only come pre-assembled. link

Yes.
input = o2 sensor connection
output = ecu connection.

You might also post your vehicle type. I'd hate to see you spend a lot of time on ZFF's circuit, which doesn't work on wide-band o2's (despite his claim), if you did need a wideband efie.

Rick

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2009 02:31 PM by colchiro.)
02-01-2009 06:11 AM