Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
ultrasonic misters (demistified)
jimmyhackers Offline

ultrasonic misters (demistified)
this is my first post and hopefully a very enlightening one
i expect many replies

i currently use a 3 head ultrasonic mister to place a 25/75 meth/water into my peugeot 306 1.4 single point injection (it has a fuel heater, iridium spark plugs, decat, cold air induction as well as being extensivly lightened and lowerd. its econimical at around 50mpg (35mpg standard) when cruising but not really when im going fast, and it can go pretty fast :P

many misters online say the require 24vac, so did mine, they actually work on ac or dc so you can use a dc/dc step up transformer off of your cars 12v battery. i got mine off of ebay for about 30 quid and is rated upto 7amps (victron energy). larger amperage and voltage ones are available from other companies but for more money

its a pretty simple electrical install with inline fuses on the transformer live and the mister live feeds, a relay+dash switch and some wires linking it up.

the mister is just in some tupperware where my battery used to be as i have relocated it to the rear passenger foot well. tubes go out of the tupperware into the air resonant chamber (plastic thing on top of my inlet manifold) the tupperware has a filtered inlet hole. and the engines natural suction draws the mist in.

nice and simple

i have not had it rolling road tested but there is a definate improvement in power when the system is on and my engine sis at 89 degrees instead of 92-93.

in heinsight though its probably better, easier and more effective just to buy a high pressure pump water injection system with vaccum activated switches and two/three nozzles sequencially turning on letting in more water as the engine vaccum increases.

thoughts? questions? all are welcome
12-24-2010 02:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dingo Offline

RE: ultrasonic misters (demistified)
appreciate the input...i will have to give it a try
12-24-2010 08:20 PM
rpatzer Offline

(12-24-2010 02:18 PM)jimmyhackers Wrote:  this is my first post and hopefully a very enlightening one
i expect many replies

i currently use a 3 head ultrasonic mister to place a 25/75 meth/water into my peugeot 306 1.4 single point injection (it has a fuel heater, iridium spark plugs, decat, cold air induction as well as being extensivly lightened and lowerd. its econimical at around 50mpg (35mpg standard) when cruising but not really when im going fast, and it can go pretty fast :P

many misters online say the require 24vac, so did mine, they actually work on ac or dc so you can use a dc/dc step up transformer off of your cars 12v battery. i got mine off of ebay for about 30 quid and is rated upto 7amps (victron energy). larger amperage and voltage ones are available from other companies but for more money

its a pretty simple electrical install with inline fuses on the transformer live and the mister live feeds, a relay+dash switch and some wires linking it up.

the mister is just in some tupperware where my battery used to be as i have relocated it to the rear passenger foot well. tubes go out of the tupperware into the air resonant chamber (plastic thing on top of my inlet manifold) the tupperware has a filtered inlet hole. and the engines natural suction draws the mist in.

nice and simple

i have not had it rolling road tested but there is a definate improvement in power when the system is on and my engine sis at 89 degrees instead of 92-93.

in heinsight though its probably better, easier and more effective just to buy a high pressure pump water injection system with vaccum activated switches and two/three nozzles sequencially turning on letting in more water as the engine vaccum increases.

thoughts? questions? all are welcome

Why use water? Water will not increase mileage. It was used in the WW2 planes for extra power and shut off when cruising speed was reached. My guess is while the meth might help, the cost might negate it.
12-27-2010 06:29 AM
mike Offline

Jimmyhackers: Can you give me the spec on your mister? I'm interested in it. Water mist is very valid technology for fuel saving. You probably will need an EFIE to translate it fully into MPG savings.

I don't think you can do the nozzles that you describe without boosting the pressure. I think all of that will make the system less than feasible, cost-wise.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
12-27-2010 03:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jimmyhackers Offline

thanks for the replies so far.

the mister i use is a 24vdc 3 head one from ebay keywords are"fogger, mister, head,mist, fog" and of them will work really i bought one with leds in it by mistake "looks like christmas under my bonnet in the tupperware"

to bypass its water sensor so it works with any fluid just snip the black ubend/stalk sensor peice and ground the wire in the middle of it to the mister body. shove tinfoil in there or solder it then cover it with appropriate glue.

in my car after the engine reaches tempreture the car switches fueling control over to the 02 sensor (unless other sensor show abnormal readings, which they dont). so when i add more fuel (water methanol) more oxygen is used in combustion by the mentahol part of the mix (ill get to the water in a bit) and therefore less will be in the exhaust. so my car should notivce via the o2 sensor a rich mixture and adjust fueling accordingly. the methanol does (or can do with appripriate tuning) what we all know high octane fuel can do so ill skip explaining that and go onto my reasoning for the water.

you ask why use water?

in essence water gives nearly all the same benifits the methanol does (cooling, clean engine internals, lower emission, advanced ignition timings etc) but to varying degrees, which im too lazy to explain.
what most people dont realise about water is that its flammable, it just has to be in the right state. to make water into hydrogen and oygen you need a combination of either heat,pressure or eletrical current, and there is a lot of each during combustion.

now im not a scientist but i understand a concept of conservation of energy etc...... the water part should not mess up the o2 sensor fueling as (if its being added in the correct amounts and form) as it comes in as h20 turns into hho briefly then turns back in to h20.

my argument is that my exhasut gas tempreture is around 150 degrees lower and its showing less emssions which can only indicate a more complete burn than usual, where is that 150 degrees of energy going in the system? i would argue its being converted into kinetic energy in the combustion chamber!!! (poo poo me please if im being stupid)

and cost wise a high pressure water meth pump system will be around 200 - 400 pounds. i can buy meth for 50p a litre if i buy it in 200l barrels, thats less than half the price of a litre of petrol in the uk.
12-28-2010 07:35 PM
mike Offline

Nice.

Are you using distilled water? Or tap water?

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
12-28-2010 09:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply