Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
weird codes
Jeep Girl Offline

RE: weird codes
colchiro Wrote:You can't measure 20+ amps on most hand multimeters. Most are rated for just a couple amps.

It's possible your cell has frozen (or worse).Shocked

If your temps are approaching or below zero (like here), that cell belongs on the bench until you have a winter electrolyte.
I'm running 50% distilled white vinegar, 25% Di H20, & 25% Propanol as an antifreeze. I thought that should do it, although the spare fluid jug in the garage is a bit slushy. If the cell needs to be thawed, will it work again then, or will it need a rebuild?
My multimeter goes to 10 amps. I admit I forgot to change to lead from the 400mA post to the +10 A post. My bad. Blush
Jeep Girl
12-23-2008 06:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

As long as it doesn't freeze solid you might be able to pull it off.

I've got a bottled water in my truck and the bottom is bulging so it's round on the bottom like a tennis ball. You said it was "colder than you know what" so I assumed it was highs of zero or less like here.

stl_hemi's right, if your cell isn't producing, you should pull it until you get it figured out.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
12-23-2008 07:24 PM
Jeep Girl Offline

colchiro Wrote:As long as it doesn't freeze solid you might be able to pull it off.

I've got a bottled water in my truck and the bottom is bulging so it's round on the bottom like a tennis ball. You said it was "colder than you know what" so I assumed it was highs of zero or less like here.

stl_hemi's right, if your cell isn't producing, you should pull it until you get it figured out.
I had a chance to drain the electrolyte yesterday, and as a lousy XMas present, I could see through the top plug hole that 3 of the plates are touching each other. Shocked No wonder there is no gas production. I have an email in to the local MagDrive rep to see what their warranty covers before I pull it and try to rebuild it myself.
Jeep Girl
12-26-2008 02:22 PM
Gary Offline

Oh no. Not another MagDrive failure! I got a bad feelin' for ya gal! You might pull it, take and post pics for the folks to suggest fixes. Or, it sounds like you can probably handle that yourself.
12-26-2008 02:37 PM
colchiro Offline

I suspect damage due to freezing isn't covered.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
12-26-2008 04:12 PM
Jeep Girl Offline

Gary Wrote:Oh no. Not another MagDrive failure! I got a bad feelin' for ya gal! You might pull it, take and post pics for the folks to suggest fixes. Or, it sounds like you can probably handle that yourself.
MagDrive in GA got back to me to say that the 3 center plates are fused together on purpose. I rechecked the fuses and the 30a one was fried again. I think I am doing that when I try to check the amps coming off the block, so I have given up on that. I did do an H2O displacement test and am getting about 62 ml per minute. It took 8 minutes to empty a 500 ml bottle! Mad I guess some gas is better than no gas (depending on the sourceWink ).
Jeep Girl
12-27-2008 01:39 PM
colchiro Offline

You're not the first to note that their Magdrive produced less than advertised.

Rick

12-27-2008 01:44 PM
Gary Offline

Please tell me you meant 620 ml/min? And THAT would be a bit poor, even for a brickinnabath type unit!
well, maybe something could be done with it to salvage it. I hate that for ya.
12-27-2008 04:14 PM
The Grench Offline

At 62.5ml pr min. you may as well just turn it off and put it on the shelf. Sorry for your luck. Build yourself a dry cell and you will have less problems and a better producing cell.
12-27-2008 06:42 PM
Jeep Girl Offline

(12-27-2008 04:14 PM)Gary Wrote:  Please tell me you meant 620 ml/min? And THAT would be a bit poor, even for a brickinnabath type unit!
well, maybe something could be done with it to salvage it. I hate that for ya.
Let me put it this way: It took 8 minutes to empty the 500 ml water bottle.
I will have a serious talk with the MagDrive folks tomorrow.
Jeep Girl
12-28-2008 11:24 AM