Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
weird codes
saltmine Offline

RE: weird codes
Leave it to Chrysler to mess up something simple. The rear sensors are set too high. try turning the rear efies "OFF" and drive around and see if that helps...My experience is primarily GM and Ford....fleet service. Rear oxygen sensors were mainly for the ECU to monitor the performance of the catalyst... They have NO effect on engine fuel trim
02-02-2009 05:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

That's the old school of thought, the late model Chrysler/Jeep have to have rear efies or they throw codes. There's a couple of threads here that document that ordeal.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
02-02-2009 05:35 PM
Jeep Girl Offline

You are not kidding. My 2005 Jeep is giving me fits over the codes. It seems to depend on what the outside (winter) temp is as to whether the rear O2 sensors throw rich codes or slow response codes, or both. Right now I am just erasing the codes because with the Eagle EFIEs it is too much trouble to go into the engine compartment and readjust them all the time. I have the 3.7L engine and am getting 19-20 mpg both city and highway that way.
02-02-2009 06:27 PM
colchiro Offline

Slow response is usually b/c your efie is set too high.

When it warms up, I'd run run efies into the inside of your vehicle, where they belong.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
02-02-2009 06:43 PM
abe Offline

One last question. If you run your o2 sensor in factory mod (without the EIFE) and your cell on.does it make enought gas to make your engin light come on. You stated you were makeing 1/2 liter per min.With your engin I dont think that enought.You need 2or3 to get the results you want.On my Jeep I had to go to 2 1/2lpm amd 30 amps.That ment a bigger alternator.I may be wrong but I think this is your proublem too.
Sorry I didn't anwser back sooner but been working a lot lately.
P.S. Robic is what I use as an electrolite.
Abe
05-26-2009 04:42 PM
Jeep Girl Offline

(05-26-2009 04:42 PM)abe Wrote:  One last question. If you run your o2 sensor in factory mod (without the EIFE) and your cell on.does it make enought gas to make your engin light come on. You stated you were makeing 1/2 liter per min.With your engin I dont think that enought.You need 2or3 to get the results you want.On my Jeep I had to go to 2 1/2lpm amd 30 amps.That ment a bigger alternator.I may be wrong but I think this is your proublem too.
Sorry I didn't anwser back sooner but been working a lot lately.
P.S. Robic is what I use as an electrolite.
Abe
I made a lot of changes since last month. I now have a double brick, and lowered it down so it gets gravity feed from the reservoir. What I was getting before wasn't even hho, just air. Now when I test the gas it sounds like a gun going off. I am using the new electrolyte made by MagDrive, just in a stronger solution to increase the amps. At last check it was around 20 amps with lots of gas bubbles, but not 2 lpm yet. I had a really good service guy (John Arnold) in Denver work on the system while I was out there. He set all 4 efies using his scan gauge & laptop reading the oscilloscope and whatever other programs in there. Interestingly enough he had to use the Canadian program (since I live in VT my car was made in Ontario) to get readings on the rear O2 sensors. The US program just showed a flat line but only on the rears. About half way through the first day of driving home I checked the actual mA readings and the rears were set at 0, which was where his computer had shown readings just short of getting a lean code. He had set the fronts at 170 & 133 mA. Later in the day the cel came on (lean rears) but adjusting the rear efies up didn't help. Now I am back to trying them at front 25, then 50, with rears 0. Doing this lost my mileage gains from 20+ down to 18+. I hope by working the fronts up slowly I will see my mileage improve again. I just can't figure out what is going on with the rear sensors.
What is different about the Canadian computer program? Does that mean the PCM works differently if made in Canada so it is not like the usual (messed up) DCX rear sensor issue we are dealing with??
Pam
05-28-2009 04:06 PM
abe Offline

Its good to hear you getting good help with your Cell.With 2 liter you should start seening Improvements.My jeep is 4 years older than your and mine was made for Calf so my setting wont help you much.But I have both front and rear set at 275 on mine.But mine is different from yours. Be carefull that if your cell is lower than your refill.Sometimes it will push electrilite through your cell and bubbler if not installed right and get in your engine you dont want that. Good Luck
Abe
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2009 05:18 PM by abe.)
05-28-2009 05:16 PM
Jeep Girl Offline

(05-28-2009 05:16 PM)abe Wrote:  Its good to hear you getting good help with your Cell.With 2 liter you should start seening Improvements.My jeep is 4 years older than your and mine was made for Calf so my setting wont help you much.But I have both front and rear set at 275 on mine.But mine is different from yours. Be carefull that if your cell is lower than your refill.Sometimes it will push electrilite through your cell and bubbler if not installed right and get in your engine you dont want that. Good Luck
Abe
Thanks. I am getting a C Trap just for this reason.
Pam
05-29-2009 06:13 AM
abe Offline

Hay here is a web site that you might find handy.There are a lot of jeep mechinic on line, that will be glad to anwser questions you might have. http://WWW.jeepforum.com Abe
05-29-2009 03:57 PM