Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
what type of 02 sensor?
fordsohc46 Offline

what type of 02 sensor?
i have a 2006 hyundai sonata with a 2.4l 4cy. i was wandering how to tell what type of sensors i have. the pre cat and post cat both have 4 wires 2 wht, 1 gry, and 1 blk. i want to order efies for my car but want to be sure they will work 1st. thanks.
06-10-2008 09:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: what type of 02 sensor?
That is covered in the following article:

http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/HowManyEFIEs.html

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
06-10-2008 10:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fordsohc46 Offline

is there a way i can test the voltage on the signal wire and compare against specified values so i can tell which kind i have? haynes and chiltons don't make a book for this car and autozones website doesn't have it either.
06-10-2008 11:19 AM
mike Offline

Well, if you have an AFR sensor, there will be a pair of wires that are used for the signaling. If you probe them while the engine is running, they will show either 2.8 or 3.3 volts to ground. The return wire from the sensor to the ECU will vary from those amounts a bit, and the reference wire will be steady on those voltages.

Also, you can get your wiring diagram from ahdol.com.

Visit Our Documents Page
06-10-2008 02:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fordsohc46 Offline

i have four wire i checked them with car running 1 is 12v +, 12v -, 1 shows .435v steady, and 1 moves between .2v and 5v. Is the 1 that moves my signal wire? and does this mean i have an afr sensor? if so what can i do to get around this sensor to start seeing some mpg gains?
06-18-2008 04:59 PM
mike Offline

Man, I don't know. Are you sure those wires are from the oxygen sensor? Are you probing them while the sensor is connected, and the engine is running? And did you let the engine warm up a bit before probing? The sensor has to heat up before it's data is correct.

Also, by "12v-" to you mean a minus 12 volts, or 0 volts (ground)?

Visit Our Documents Page
06-19-2008 05:42 PM
fordsohc46 Offline

mike Wrote:Man, I don't know. Are you sure those wires are from the oxygen sensor? Are you probing them while the sensor is connected, and the engine is running? And did you let the engine warm up a bit before probing? The sensor has to heat up before it's data is correct.

Also, by "12v-" to you mean a minus 12 volts, or 0 volts (ground)?

i meant 12v ground. i rechecked it today and it was warmed up and i had my wife rev engine to 2000 rpm. the wire in question jumped around 2.3v but it would go up to 8v sometimes. this is with the hydro hooked up would that make a difference? thanks for all the help so far i appreciate it. when i checked it the other day it was at idle but the hydro was hooked up then too.
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2008 07:10 PM by fordsohc46.)
06-19-2008 07:09 PM
mike Offline

It must be an AFR sensor, but the only AFRs I've ever heard of use 2.8 or 3.3 volts. There should be one wire that has a steady voltage at one of those values, and then another wire that has approx the same value but fluctuates above and below that value.

But for sure you don't have an narrow band sensor if you're getting those voltages on the signal wire.

You still have options. See http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/TuningForMileage.html

I would do the MAF, IAT and CTS sensor handlings. You'll go a long way with those.

Visit Our Documents Page
06-20-2008 09:20 AM
fordsohc46 Offline

should it read 2.8-3.3 with engine running at 2000-2500 rpm? i will try these other upgrades. can i also put a resistor and pot on my 02 sensor? thanks for all the help.
06-20-2008 10:41 AM
mike Offline

Actually, I meant that some wide bands use 2.8 volts and others use 3.3 volts as their reference voltage. The reference is supplied by the ECU. The ECU then reads the amount of current flowing on the return wire that comes from the sensor. That wire will either be very close to 2.8 volts or very close to 3.3 volts, with some minor fluctuations.

Re the resistor or pot: Yes, that's also covered in Tuning For Mileage

Visit Our Documents Page
06-20-2008 06:21 PM