Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
why no stainless cells/canisters ?
desmosabie Offline

why no stainless cells/canisters ?
Has anyone made the cell, or canister, of stainless steel. I want to but haven't seen anyone but the ones on ebay. I thought i should try here, especially after reading other posts about parallel or series. If all the stainless steel cells/canisters the cases are touching than bolted to the vehicle for ground, connect the positives and were running in parallel right ? i think so. I dont think a series can be run with this material for the canister/cell ? what do you think ? Just incase, the positive is in the water and the water is held by the negative. I can do that, but haven't seen anyone else doing it , they're using plastic, and i'm wondering why might that be ?
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2008 08:25 AM by desmosabie.)
05-28-2008 11:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tom Offline
Gas guzzler

RE: why no stainless cells/canisters ?
I also had an idea about using ss cells. This way I could use only one electrode (the positive one), the another would be the can itself.
Then I found out, that the can will erode with time. And changing an electrode is much easier than changing a whole can. That's why I gave up on this idea. But maybe there are other drawbacks, too.
05-31-2008 03:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
desmosabie Offline

If the electrode corrodes and needs to be replaced , what once a year maybe i honestly dont know, than the can would be just as easy to replace. I was thinkin more about it since, and it could still be run in series too, and for cleaning any corrosion you could use a drill hone, like most good auto shops have. The only thing i could think of for not doing this was the surface area. I'm surprised so many people read this post but only one wrote, little dissappointing, but thanks. I'm making mine out of stainless unless someone comes up with some good reason not to. Untill nextime . . .
05-31-2008 07:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tom Offline
Gas guzzler

Don't get disappointed. I think most of the members here are trying to get the easiest, cheapest results first. That's why they are using glass, plastic etc.
If you want equal surface area at the negative (can) and positive electrode, use an open tube electrode (like a "C" ) that has equal surface area measured to the inner area of the ss canister. At least I can imagine this way.
Or you can use several plates that has the same surface area than the canister.

When I told ss cell could be a problem, I meant if the cell rusts through, the electrolite will leak and just makes a big mess in the engine compartment. Of course if you're a careful driver and you check everything under the hood at least once a week, then it is not a problem. But there are people who are "visiting" the engine only, when there is a problem with it. Smile Those don't want a cell that may rust or alter in any way through the time.
06-01-2008 12:01 AM
desmosabie Offline

I thought the point of using stainless was so it doesn't rust, like silverware. I've seen and know that steel can easily imbed itself in stainless causing rust spots, but thats the imbedded steel, not the stainless itself rusting. I've yet to notice any corrosion on the stainless plates, 8 hour run time on a battery charger. If i understand you correctly, the stainless does corrode over time ? Is this from chems in the water or the electricity you think ? symmetry in surface area is easily achieved with some basic math, efunda has good calculators for this and more (engineering fundamentals).
06-02-2008 10:56 PM
Tom Offline
Gas guzzler

Yes, I was mentioning other types of corrosion, not the classic "rust" exactly. Even ss can corrode over the time if it is put in corrosive materials like electrolite (distilled water + NaOH, KOH, etc.). I guess amperage also has an effect regarding corrosion.
I don't think ss will corrode within a few weeks, but it won't last years in good condition. It must be replaced "after a while". How often? I don't know. It depends on strength of your electrolite, the ampers you're flow through them.

I guess the main reason we are using ss is the cost of the theoretically best electrode: platinum... Big Grin

Although I still like the idea of using a ss canister, I think I'll try some kind of plastic container first with series of plates as electrodes.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2008 06:49 AM by Tom.)
06-03-2008 06:45 AM
desmosabie Offline

speaking of platinum, i have some old catalytic converters with less than 10,000 miles on them. they are filled with platinum, which is why they are so expensive, i'm going to cut them open here in a few weeks, 2 , and try using the inards as an electrode. cut them in the band saw to equal pieces i can connect in series. i cant weld platinum but im pretty sure i can drill it. hopefully this thread sticks around that long, i'll update when the day passes. i thought ss would last a few years 2 - 3 is plenty.
06-04-2008 08:54 PM