Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
wideband substitute for narrow band o2
alpha-dog Offline

wideband substitute for narrow band o2
I've been thinking about the dodge narrow band o2's only being able to read a small range around 14.7:1. I'm guessing that when you go above or below that range the information comming from the o2 is useless. I would think that that would confuse the PCM into leaning or richening the fuel no matter what the offset. That could be why we have so narrow a region to tune in. So, if there were a suitable substitute Wide band o2 ( four wire maybe ) that could act like a narrow band o2 but with a broader range, tunning could be a lot easier.
Any thoughts
Russ
12-04-2008 05:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hygear Offline

RE: wideband substitute for narrow band o2
Russ there is a wideband O2 sensor that's available for Dodges and other vehicles,but I don't think there's any advantage installing them.Besides the cost for them is very high and they're mainly used to to increase performance and horsepower which is the direct opposite of what we're trying to do with O2 manipulation.

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quadcab 4x4 5.7 hemi
12-05-2008 05:11 AM
mike Offline

Hi Russ,

What you're bringing up is the reason that wide band sensors were invented. They are just a superior technology for metering the fuel to the engine.

However, with what we know now, you can get whatever Air/Fuel ratio you want to achieve. If you can't get as lean as you want with just an EFIE, then go ahead and do the other sensors as covered in Tuning For Mileage. If you do the CTS, IAT and MAP (or MAF), as well as the oxy sensors, you should be able to lean the mix beyond a safe level. The nice thing about doing the temp sensors is that you can also retard the timing a bit, which is also of benefit when using hydroxy.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
12-05-2008 08:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stl_hemi Offline

The wideband setup is for monitoring only. You can't just put a wideband o2 sensor in and plug it into the RAM ECM. The ECM's not setup for it. I've got a autometer wideband o2 setup on mine plus a EGT gauage. The inside of my truck liiks like a xmas tree rolling down the road.

Under the radio bazel I have engine oil temp, volt's and transmission temp. Sterring colum has 2 Interceptor gauges on it and then the pillar has a EGT, Wideband and ampmeter. And I still run 14.5-15.1 volts all the time

Paul
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 QC Hemi Off Road
5" of lift with 35" Super Swamper SSR's

Trucks forsale
Buying a 2010 Ram 3500 Mega CTD Smile
12-05-2008 12:19 PM
alpha-dog Offline

mike Wrote:Hi Russ,

What you're bringing up is the reason that wide band sensors were invented. They are just a superior technology for metering the fuel to the engine.

However, with what we know now, you can get whatever Air/Fuel ratio you want to achieve. If you can't get as lean as you want with just an EFIE, then go ahead and do the other sensors as covered in Tuning For Mileage. If you do the CTS, IAT and MAP (or MAF), as well as the oxy sensors, you should be able to lean the mix beyond a safe level. The nice thing about doing the temp sensors is that you can also retard the timing a bit, which is also of benefit when using hydroxy.

I think its time to consider the temp sensors
Russ
12-05-2008 01:27 PM
stl_hemi Offline

IAT is easy. The CTS I had issues with.

Russ were are you at right now on your MV's? And milage.

Paul

Trucks forsale
12-05-2008 02:23 PM
alpha-dog Offline

stl_hemi Wrote:IAT is easy. The CTS I had issues with.

200mvdc after warmup and I need to do a new baseline on mpg. I seem to be holding at 16mpg on my work route ( city and highway 50% each approx. )
Russ
12-05-2008 03:06 PM
stl_hemi Offline

alpha-dog Wrote:

200mvdc after warmup and I need to do a new baseline on mpg. I seem to be holding at 16mpg on my work route ( city and highway 50% each approx. )
Russ
Ahhhhhhhhhhh ok that might be why. Mine are all hwy. I might have 3 miles total a day of speeds under 40mph. The other 50-100 miles a day are all hwy.

Paul

Trucks forsale
12-05-2008 03:18 PM
alpha-dog Offline

stl_hemi Wrote:
alpha-dog Wrote:

Russ
Ahhhhhhhhhhh ok that might be why. Mine are all hwy. I might have 3 miles total a day of speeds under 40mph. The other 50-100 miles a day are all hwy.

I probably need to increase HHO production also, I'm only getting about 3.5~4lpm.
Russ
12-05-2008 04:59 PM
hygear Offline

Were you having cold start issues with CTS mods? Or other?

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quadcab 4x4 5.7 hemi
12-06-2008 06:29 AM