Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
with regards to tuning with EFIE
This Guy Offline

with regards to tuning with EFIE
hello.

I would like to start off by saying it was a pleasure to stumble upon these forums. There is a lot of useful information, as well as a great amount of individual ingenuity going on.

anyways, I have a pretty decent understanding of engines and am currently going to school to pursue my dream of becoming a mechanical engineer someday.

As far as "tuning" or adjusting your readings of the o2 sensors while the car is in park and just going by free rev. values.. wouldn't it be a lot better to get accurate readings while the engine is under load?

say you do a lot of highway driving, record your o2 sensor readings for when you are cruising at your normal cruising speed. me is around 70 mph and in 5th gear that's around 2300 revs/min.

rather than adjusting the "sweet spot" for 2300 rpms in neutral, wouldn't it be more successful as far as gas savings, to adjust it properly according to the load?

I have a 96 camaro, currently getting 18mpg city and 20mpg hwy (thats being generous). I have not started any projects yet with hho generators and the EFIE, but will slowly but surely save up extra money and time and get this all going (poor college student).

This is what i plan as far as EFIE.

Im going to need at least 2 efie's since i have two banks, 3 sensors total. one of course, being post cat for efficiency readings.

What i want to do is have 2, double EFIE's, one configured for city driving conditions, and one configured for highway conditions (cruising at 70mph)

How i will do this is carefully monitor my o2 output readings for a couple weeks during city driving without the HHO, then compare them to the readings with HHO. Then split the difference and take it from there..

Same will be done with highway driving. Once I get off the city stop and go, and merge on to the highway, i can flip the switch, and have my HWY settings kick in.

what do you think? as far as engine loads and gas usage, if i am wrong, please enlighten me. My EXPERIENCE with cars consists of years tinkering with my father and uncle in the backyard. We've built, and rebuilt many of motors. Both my dad and uncle are lifelong mechanics.

any comments? concerns? dont be afraid to speak up. and sorry for making this so long. I tend to ramble
06-05-2008 11:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rpatzer Offline

RE: with regards to tuning with EFIE
It seems to me you are trying to do what the ECU does, adjust as needed.
06-05-2008 12:09 PM
This Guy Offline

rpatzer Wrote:It seems to me you are trying to do what the ECU does, adjust as needed.

sorry to seem so naive, but isn't this what we are trying to accomplish by using the EFIE to start with?
06-05-2008 12:15 PM
rpatzer Offline

No- the EFIE will add a constant voltage to the sensor and the ECU will make the needed adjustments.
06-05-2008 02:10 PM
This Guy Offline

rpatzer Wrote:No- the EFIE will add a constant voltage to the sensor and the ECU will make the needed adjustments.

exactly. so why not for a guy who has the SAME route everyday to tune the o2 readings according to the way they drive, with that certain load.

for example..

say i adjust the efie for compensation during no load on the engine except belt accessories (park / neutral)..

those settings on the efie will be totally different because when driving, there is a load on the engine (rotating mass of wheels, weight of car..wind drag etc..). and in return to that load, the engine requires more gas, as well as oxygen

If i adjust for that given load (cruising at 70mph, 2300 rpms), then the chances of me getting better mpg could significantly increase.

is this not right? im pretty sure im not mistaken. A good example to prove this is with turbocharged engines.. revving the engine in neutral won't spool up the impeller nearly as fast as when the engine is under load, or even regular acceleration. Or is this like comparing apples and oranges?
06-05-2008 03:10 PM
rpatzer Offline

I would think that no matter the load, the driving varies, stops, slow downs, humidity, temp. All these variables come into play and the ECU adjusts accordingly. If you have a narrow band sensor, then it will hunt and let the ECU determine the bottom line. I think you are doing over-kill.
06-05-2008 05:39 PM
colchiro Offline

rpatzer Wrote:I would think that no matter the load, the driving varies, stops, slow downs, humidity, temp. All these variables come into play and the ECU adjusts accordingly. If you have a narrow band sensor, then it will hunt and let the ECU determine the bottom line. I think you are doing over-kill.

Over-kill, my thoughts exactly. Hmm

Just install your hho and add one double EFIE. There's going to be a lot of chance to play with the design of the hho and sensor tuning to keep you busy. If you want to get creative, do it with the sensors or build a series cell. Blush

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
06-05-2008 06:38 PM
hydrodine Offline

This Guy Wrote:
rpatzer Wrote:No- the EFIE will add a constant voltage to the sensor and the ECU will make the needed adjustments.

exactly. so why not for a guy who has the SAME route everyday to tune the o2 readings according to the way they drive, with that certain load.

for example..

say i adjust the efie for compensation during no load on the engine except belt accessories (park / neutral)..

those settings on the efie will be totally different because when driving, there is a load on the engine (rotating mass of wheels, weight of car..wind drag etc..). and in return to that load, the engine requires more gas, as well as oxygen

If i adjust for that given load (cruising at 70mph, 2300 rpms), then the chances of me getting better mpg could significantly increase.

is this not right? im pretty sure im not mistaken. A good example to prove this is with turbocharged engines.. revving the engine in neutral won't spool up the impeller nearly as fast as when the engine is under load, or even regular acceleration. Or is this like comparing apples and oranges?

You are reading to much of that ozzie freedom crap.
06-12-2008 05:55 AM